Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/ Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not often your under a blizzard warning for 18-24" and possibly more in JANUARY. Just the second time in my life and following a +13F December and two great winters. Something has changed this is a new paradigm from the old normal.

I will say how about 69.6f water in South Carolina right where our storm is forming on January 22nd 45 miles east of the coast just wow!!!

It's not often your under a blizzard warning for 18-24" and possibly more in JANUARY. Just the second time in my life and following a +13F December and two great winters. Something has changed this is a new paradigm from the old normal.

I don't know about a new paradigm, but I'm not going to fight it  :thumbsup: . It is pretty awesome as an offset to December. I actually cut my grass (for the "final" final cut) on New Years Day, and the idea of a blizzard 3 weeks later would have felt like a fantasy.

Lol..

That's what my wife said!

I agree with all of your thoughts but I think they may be missing the point that it's the prestorm analysis that is important, more so than countless hours of coverage by the A Team while the storm is raging/over....

Also, how much sleep do these folks need....

we don't get any‼

Give them off all the time they need during the 95% of the time when our weather is boring!

BTW...

I think KamuSnow may be resting up too, hasn't checked in here for days?!

A combination of things, one of them being under the weather a bit (so to speak). But well enough to track this storm all week in short segments, while trying to rest up and get enough work done to justify taking Friday afternoon off, and being able to shovel some snow tonight :lol:.

Knowing how most of us have fraying nerves and shared weather insecurities...

I'm curious if any would be willing to share your unusual superstitions that you practice whenever we face potential "winter monsters"⁉️

(eg: putting away the razor, a special dance, a good luck pair of undershorts etc)

The only thing I did this week along those lines (besides trying to not get too excited) was to wait until tonight to get the snow shovels out of the barn. I guess it worked, right? (lol). I remember a couple of years ago there was a poster in the NYC forum who would talk about gassing up his snowblower and whatever else was on the checklist 3 days or so before an event, and I'd cringe. I'm conditioned to snow in these parts as being something you can't take for granted, so I don't want to be cocky or presumptive, even though I know it doesn't make a difference - it's the weather!

Had a new expensive gazzilion candlepower spotlight I just stepped out into the storm with turned  in on and poof the light went out  :(

NUTS‼️‼️

The trick is to fire it up Before the snow starts...

that way it keeps ahead of the storm rather than allowing it to pile up on the light first!

Mine is mounted in the umbrella hole in the patio table and points skyward....

GREAT effect as the snow swirls!!!

The minimal amount of power outages is astounding, so I would like to say, WELL DONE PECO! (and other utility companies)

As an electrical contractor though, I am finally going to order my whole house generator next week.  This storm was enough to convince the wife. 

(and hopefully I didn't just jinx myself and eat my words digging out the portable setup)

ETA:  I have also noticed Asplundh out over the past month or two, so well done to them too, and PA for making sure this maintenance was performed.

The minimal amount of power outages is astounding, so I would like to say, WELL DONE PECO! (and other utility companies)

As an electrical contractor though, I am finally going to order my whole house generator next week.  This storm was enough to convince the wife. 

(and hopefully I didn't just jinx myself and eat my words digging out the portable setup)

ETA:  I have also noticed Asplundh out over the past month or two, so well done to them too, and PA for making sure this maintenance was performed.

I think what helped was that the temps didn't seem to get at or above freezing so far during the event (mainly mid-upper 20s), so the snow ratios were a bit more favorable (I don't see much plastering of snow on the trees or shrubs around here).

I know the past couple years, Asplundh has been furiously making "Y"s out of the trees in my neighborhood.  But what's wild is that a couple years ago, Asplundh needed to get to the bottom of my sister's backyard where her side of the street's power lines run along a woodsy creek. And due to the uneven grade on the side of the house where they tried to drive a cherry-picker down the hill, that $250k piece of equipment ended up flipping over on its side.  They spent hours and hours trying to upright it. They finally had to rip out the shrubs along the side of my sister's house to get a larger truck with a crane positioned alongside the cherry-picker, to grab and hold it upright long enough to attach it to another truck to tow it away. Total fiasco!

Archived