• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE/ Non Storm OBS thread

Hate to see this melt away fast in January that is something typical big Feb snowstorms would do.

Was just musing that I have achieved 20" packs 5 times in the last 7 winters after only achieving that 3 times in the previous 29 winters. This is either a new normal due to climate change or something that wouldn't happen for another 300 years I think the former.

I got the return of the BIG snowstorm after a several year hiatus right in my winter forecast and while I didn't hear what Hurricane said about a 12"+ in February I like the reasoning the pattern supports the opportunity. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think if the snow had been Monday could have been almost an entire week, stupid weekend rule eh

Better yet I run a twitter account to keep my classmates informed about threats, and when I tweeted out my 15-20 forecast Thursday, I got 5 retweets and 7 likes. When I tweeted Sunday that I thought we'd be off monday, 25 Retweets and 70 likes. 

Better yet I run a twitter account to keep my classmates informed about threats, and when I tweeted out my 15-20 forecast Thursday, I got 5 retweets and 7 likes. When I tweeted Sunday that I thought we'd be off monday, 25 Retweets and 70 likes. 

Ha when I was your age I was only able to keep my classmates informed through AIM away messages and Myspace comments. My top 8 were always well informed of the weather... :lol: :lol:

This storm has now gotten me two days off school and a delay tomorrow

Think if the snow had been Monday could have been almost an entire week, stupid weekend rule eh

A la '96 (Sunday into Monday really)  Pretty sure most high schools in the PHL area were off that whole week, I know mine was. That storm was perfect in so many ways including the timing for days off school. :)

Im trying to replace shear bolt/pins in my snowblower for the first time. Can someone in-the-know help me out?

Obviously with a busted shear pin, the auger is free to spin on the auger drive shaft when rotated manually. All well and good, but the old bolt is in the drive shaft still and the way the holes are lined up, I cant get a push in there to knock the bolt out. I need to rotate the driveshaft itself like 1/4 rotation to allow for a better angle to push out the bolt....right now I cant get to it. I was going to use one of the augers that still has the shear pin in tact to rotate the drive shaft but I noticed it feels locked.

Can I manually apply more force to manually rotate the drive shaft or do I risk damage to the gear worm, etc? Is there a safety mechanism or something I need to turn off to allow the drive shaft to rotate?

Im trying to replace shear bolt/pins in my snowblower for the first time. Can someone in-the-know help me out?

Obviously with a busted shear pin, the auger is free to spin on the auger drive shaft when rotated manually. All well and good, but the old bolt is in the drive shaft still and the way the holes are lined up, I cant get a push in there to knock the bolt out. I need to rotate the driveshaft itself like 1/4 rotation to allow for a better angle to push out the bolt....right now I cant get to it. I was going to use one of the augers that still has the shear pin in tact to rotate the drive shaft but I noticed it feels locked.

Can I manually apply more force to manually rotate the drive shaft or do I risk damage to the gear worm, etc? Is there a safety mechanism or something I need to turn off to allow the drive shaft to rotate?

By spinning the auger manually you are working against the gear reduction. I would engage the auger, remove the spark plug boot so it doesn't start, and then slowly pull the starter cord until the auger shaft turns enough so you can service the shear pin.

A la '96 (Sunday into Monday really)  Pretty sure most high schools in the PHL area were off that whole week, I know mine was. That storm was perfect in so many ways including the timing for days off school. :)

Yeah my school closed the whole week.  How glorious that was as a nine year old.

Strange that they are that tight you should be able to align a new pin and lightly tap the old one from the hole. Mine slide in and out with little resistance but guess different tolerance in the design.

12z GEFS have a nice ridge out West (-epo/+pna) thru most of the run. However, the Atlantic looks meh with a +nao majority of the run. It does go neutral for a day or so but essentially no N Atl blocking in sight on this particular model ens mean. A well-respected poster once said a +pna is more important than Atlantic blocking in terms of getting a storm, so I'll take my chances with a crappy looking Atlantic. This is also just one model so we will have to see if the EPS and CMC ens agree at all.

12z GEFS have a nice ridge out West (-epo/+pna) thru most of the run. However, the Atlantic looks meh with a +nao majority of the run. It does go neutral for a day or so but essentially no N Atl blocking in sight on this particular model ens mean. A well-respected poster once said a +pna is more important than Atlantic blocking in terms of getting a storm, so I'll take my chances with a crappy looking Atlantic. This is also just one model so we will have to see if the EPS and CMC ens agree at all.

I'd agree with him. We're downstream from the Pacific, PNA, EPO, more important than NAO for snow, but for a big big storm you really need all 3. Just look at last 2 years, mostly +NAO, still snowy, but no big storms. 

EPS and CMC ens agree....overall +nao through at least Feb 12. It does try and go neutral around Feb 3-4 but then a strong +nao builds in thereafter. Alot of forecasters were banking on significant N Atl blocking in Feb to help us out with this Nino winter (progressive stj). Unless something changes for the second half of the month, the N Atl Feb blocking forecasts are not looking promising for the foreseeable future. I'll take my chances tho with the -epo/+pna and more minor/moderate snow chances. We've already had our HECS....I'm quite satisfied so far.

Archived