amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 20-21 Early Season Snowstorm

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a real fun month so far.  Two tornadoes less than 20 miles away last week.  This week we're tracking not only the first flakes, and not only the first snow accums, but what could be a warning criteria snow event lol.

I'm gonna go with 4-6" with isolated higher amounts for here/QCA for my first call.  Some models indicate we may have rain mixing in for awhile tomorrow evening before the intense lift from the storm cools the column sufficiently.  Once it changes over though it will rip all night into early Sat.  Not worried about the ground temps at all.  Ratios will be rather meager though, as you'd expect with marginal temps relative to snow event.  I think areas north of highway 30 have an excellent shot at warning criteria snows of 6-8" with isolated higher amounts.  

For anyone enjoying the southern trend..... plows and salters still not hooked up. For extreme SE Michigan I expect a slop fest, perhaps a marginal squeegee plowing event. While the issue will be not the main snow but rather the evening freeze of the leftovers on the ground.

Do you plow Windsor or detroit areas?

For the Michigan folks, what I am noticing is that the models are developing some semblance of a trowal as the low wraps NE.

That would explain the blow up in 6hr QPF from 18z to 00z on Saturday.

It's another thing to keep an eye on (that is for possible overachievement), especially if the profiles trend a bit cooler. 

DTX increased my totals from this morning, was around 2", now 4-5"

Friday Night
Snow likely, mainly after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday
Snow. High near 36. Calm wind becoming north northeast 5 to 7 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 4 inches.
Saturday Night
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

They're calling for 2-4" here.

For the Michigan folks, what I am noticing is that the models are developing some semblance of a trowal as the low wraps NE.

That would explain the blow up in 6hr QPF from 18z to 00z on Saturday.

It's another thing to keep an eye on (that is for possible overachievement), especially if the profiles trend a bit cooler. 

We had a storm that did something like that 2 years ago as the low passed by, Josh would probably remember which one. The storm started with about 8 hours of underachieving and then the last 6 hours was overachieving with some reports of thunder.

We had a storm that did something like that 2 years ago as the low passed by, Josh would probably remember which one. The storm started with about 8 hours of underachieving and then the last 6 hours was overachieving with some reports of thunder.

I remember that as well. People were calling bust when there was still 8 hours of precipitation to go with the trowel feature to roll through.

There's definitely a chill in the air. I'm anxious to see how warm/sunny it gets tomorrow before the clouds set in. I have a feeling there will be less lake influence than LOT anticipates.

it's easy to forget about the marine influence with these ripping winds out of the west.

i think your first call (which now lines up nicely with LOT) looks good

Do you plow Windsor or detroit areas?

All in Windsor within a 10 mile radius of down town. During a big storm you should come on over for a run in the trucks and perhaps play with a skid steer for a few hours. You will be hooked from that moment on.

Snow :weenie: should all own a plow truck....

All in Windsor within a 10 mile radius of down town. During a big storm you should come on over for a run in the trucks and perhaps play with a skid steer for a few hours. You will be hooked from that moment on.

Snow :weenie: should all own a plow truck....

The real feel is doing it continuous for 48 hours consecutive while living on Big Macs, coffee and developing a severe case of swamp ass. Takes the romantiscm out of it.

Below is something interesting I spotted that's now on coolwx.com.

The images posted are for the 18z NAM, but I'm sure the same images are available for the GFS as well...

KDTW:

omeg.png

KORD

omeg.png

KGRR

omeg.png

KMSN

omeg.png

KDSM

omeg.png

This is good, omega intersecting the DGZ. Might be better ratios than expected for here.

Im a bit ashamed to say I had had to look at f6 data to jog my memory :lol:. But I got it. It was Feb 5, 2014. In a winter of everything going right, it appeared we would finally get a snow that underperformed. It snowed all night and only added up to a few inches, then bam out of nowhere we got slammed in the morning. It ended up being an 8" snowfall...but imby it took 12 hours to deliver the first 2" and 4 hours to deliver the last 6". By early afternoon the sun was peaking out. Depth was 20". What a winter that was.

3835-800.jpg

3837-800.jpg

3843-800.jpg

Im a bit ashamed to say I had had to look at f6 data to jog my memory :lol:. But I got it. It was Feb 5, 2014. In a winter of everything going right, it appeared we would finally get a snow that underperformed. It snowed all night and only added up to a few inches, then bam out of nowhere we got slammed in the morning. It ended up being an 8" snowfall...but imby it took 12 hours to deliver the first 2" and 4 hours to deliver the last 6". By early afternoon the sun was peaking out. Depth was 20". What a winter that was.

This was the first storm that came to mind after seeing Stebo's post, but I don't recall thundersnow with this one.

i dont either actually. Feb 20, 2011 had INSANE thundersnow but it was heavy snow from the get go.

And besides, I also recall 2/5/14 being purely deformation snow.

This upcoming system actually has a defined tongue of warm air attempting to wrap around the backside of the low, as the trough takes on a negative tilt and the system tries to close off (thus a trowal).

gfs_namer_054_925_temp_ht.gif

Archived