amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 20-21 Early Season Snowstorm

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont either actually. Feb 20, 2011 had INSANE thundersnow but it was heavy snow from the get go.

That was probably the best thundersnow I've ever witnessed. I was outside shoveling and could see the streaks of lightning above me. Wasn't that the storm that was supposed to be an ice storm but never switched over?

As far as November snow events go, I can't recall a decent one that happened in my lifetime. If we lucked out and got more than a few inches, that would be pretty impressive.

That was probably the best thundersnow I've ever witnessed. I was outside shoveling and could see the streaks of lightning above me. Wasn't that the storm that was supposed to be an ice storm but never switched over?

As far as November snow events go, I can't recall a decent one that happened in my lifetime. If we lucked out and got more than a few inches, that would be pretty impressive.

Yup. Was supposed to be an ice storm. Got 10" of snow. Yet Jackson got ice. A surprise 75th birthday for my grandpa that night at a restaurant overlooking a golf course. Snowstorm raged outside then lightning lit the course up to look bright pink and the whole party literally gasped.

The biggest single Nov event I remember is 3-4" in Nov 2005.

Officially at Detroit...

Last 4"+ Nov snowfall: Nov 11, 1984

Last 5"+ Nov snowfall: Nov 26, 1977

Last 6"+ Nov snowfall: Nov 2/3, 1966

Last 7"+ Nov snowfall: Nov 15/16, 1932: (At 9.0", this is Detroits only 7"+ Nov snowstorm on record).

15Z Plumes...QPF mean...

JOT  .42

ORD  .54

DKB  .63

SQI  .72

UGN  .75

21Z Plumes...QPF mean...

JOT  .68

ORD  .88

DKB  .95

SQI  .99

UGN  1.11

Thanks for posting these numbers. Keep on forgetting to check the SREF.

Kind of smells and feels like snow tonight.

The NAM is showing a signal of dynamic cooling as the deformation band slides through here, that certainly looks plausible given the thermodynamic background we will have preceding and during the storm

Verbatim, the NAM's all snow here (like the 18z run). In fact, Detroit proper's in the bullseye this time around. 

And actually, I would even be concerned about the potential of convective snows if the NAM were to verify. 

ILX's latest update--even though they haven't issued any headlines yet. 

Although I wouldn't be surprised tomorrow morning if their counties NW of the IL River, or perhaps roughly along/north of a Macomb-Bloomington line (following the southern part of DVN's WWA and taking it east across the northernmost ILX CWA), go under a WWA for late tomorrow night into Saturday morning:

http://www.weather.gov/ilx/AccumulatingSnow

Verbatim, the NAM's all snow here (like the 18z run). In fact, Detroit proper's in the bullseye this time around. 

And actually, I would even be concerned about the potential of convective snows if the NAM were to verify. 

If you look at the 4km NAM I would say there is a decent potential of convective snows and it is more juiced up than the 12km.

If you look at the 4km NAM I would say there is a decent potential of convective snows and it is more juiced up than the 12km.

4km NAM is actually a little warmer than the 12km NAM.

The period between 18z and 21z is especially marginal, as the 925mb 0*C creeps NW to about Lake St. Clair / Detroit River. 

But I would think dynamic cooling nips that in the bud quickly. 

Just to follow up since I have been keeping track of it...after hitting 55 degrees yesterday...soil temp is already down to 37 at St. Charles as of 9:00 ...  So with some doubts on ground temps lingering out there by some...temps should be adequate to not cut into totals much if at all if anyone still has any grave concerns in that regard (soil temps not pavement)

fwiw...and i'll stop talking about it  :)  :P

Archived