joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. When I was growing up in the 90s, I remember a couple snowy winters, but nothing like that last 12 years or so. The majority of winters here in the last 15 even have been snowier than normal. Average snowfall is running at 56.5" right now; not including this winter ending.

More latent heat in the atmosphere will mean more water vapor and thus more clouds in the atmosphere. Have seen some very wet summers here in the last decade as well to show for it.

As Jonger said...temps in this region are just noise. Pattern is what determine snow, & we have been in a good pattern way more often than not.

It's been discussed many many times on here but my god winters that I grew up with in the '90s aren't even on the same playing field as they are today. I take it we are close in age (32 here). I may be super into weather stats, but just going by memory alone is even more telling. I have a very vivid memory (for most things not just weather :lol:) and it truly is no comparison. To the point of what I expected out of '90s winters and what I expect today is completely different.

As Jonger said...temps in this region are just noise. Pattern is what determine snow, & we have been in a good pattern way more often than not.

It's been discussed many many times on here but my god winters that I grew up with in the '90s aren't even on the same playing field as they are today. I take it we are close in age (32 here). I may be super into weather stats, but just going by memory alone is even more telling. I have a very vivid memory (for most things not just weather :lol:) and it truly is no comparison. To the point of what I expected out of '90s winters and what I expect today is completely different.

I turned 34 last month.

Yeah the 90s were different. 95-96 was the most memorable. I think like 60" fell that winter. I didn't start keeping stats until early 1998. One thing that is different since the early 2000s and before, is that I remember more colder lows; like near -20° and under. It has been a really long time since it has been that cold. You would think with more days of snow cover that wouldn't have changed all that much. 

totals aside, i'll take 2'+ in one event over 60" of nickle and dime garbage every day

To be fair this isn't our season. A 50" winter here is 3 approximately 8-10", and then the rest coming in bits. This season was an anomaly, usually there are a couple big dogs that close school for a few days

I turned 34 last month.

Yeah the 90s were different. 95-96 was the most memorable. I think like 60" fell that winter. I didn't start keeping stats until early 1998. One thing that is different since the early 2000s and before, is that I remember more colder lows; like near -20° and under. It has been a really long time since it has been that cold. You would think with more days of snow cover that wouldn't have changed all that much.

You didn't have any lows near -20 in January 2009 and in January 2014? UGN dipped to -19 on 1/16/09 and -16 on 1/6/14, with 4 consecutive lows in the mid minus teens from 1/6 to 1/9.

You didn't have any lows near -20 in January 2009 and in January 2014? UGN dipped to -19 on 1/16/09 and -16 on 1/6/14, with 4 consecutive lows in the mid minus teens from 1/6 to 1/9.

-16° in January of 2014. I did hit -19° on January 16, 2009. So that was the last time it was near -20°. I just remember more far below zero lows during the 90s where it was cold enough to cancel classes. I remember one winter, I had 3 days in a row where school was canceled because of the extreme cold.

-16° in January of 2014. I did hit -19° on January 16, 2009. So that was the last time it was near -20°. I just remember more far below zero lows during the 90s where it was cold enough to cancel classes. I remember one winter, I had 3 days in a row where school was canceled because of the extreme cold.

Either 1994 or 1996 I'm sure.

I remember the January 1994 cold outbreak because our pipes froze even in the city of Detroit. I was just a kid, but that type of thing never happens and has never happened since to anyone I know of around here.

When we lived in a trailer, we had to keep all the faucets dripping water in the winter so they didn't freeze.

CLE is certainly snowier than it was in the 1970s or 1980s, but snowfall appeared to reach a peak in the late 90s and early 2000s here. The past 10 years averaged about 63" at CLE. Between 1998/99 and 2008/2009 the average was 78".

The last 5 years only averaged about 54" at CLE, so locally the last 5 years haven't been that snowy compared to the prior 40 years.

Toledo had an average of 40.73" in those years (99-09). Cleveland got much more inches above their normal than Toledo.

What the ...this looks as cold or colder then current blast..

Put spring on hold for another week or so.

Yeah, the models may have been wrong about the brutal Sunday around here, but they were right about the cold pattern.  The latest euro is just awful.  After 70 degrees tomorrow, the euro has 40s every day through Saturday, one warm day next Sunday, then back to cold.  It has removed the modest mid-week mild surge for us and delayed the weekend warmup.  The GFS is similar.  It looks even worse for folks farther east and northeast.  I was considering removing the tarps and leaf bags from a couple non-hardy hummingbird plants tomorrow morning, but if it's going to be consisently cold through mid month I may as well keep them covered. :(

Just like in 2007, The Masters golf tournament could be a pretty cold one for a couple days.

Models were a day off for the cold Sunday. 35° for the high at midnight.

EURO is cold all around unless you're in the Ohio Valley/south of I-70. Still at times the cold pushed down into KY. Get near 50° on Wednesday evening and that it's for mild air here.

Next 10 days. 

post-7-0-15084100-1459798738.png

Models were a day off for the cold Sunday. 35° for the high at midnight.

EURO is cold all around unless you're in the Ohio Valley/south of I-70. Still at times the cold pushed down into KY. Get near 50° on Wednesday evening and that it's for mild air here.

Next 10 days.

post-7-0-15084100-1459798738.png

Bo continues to get destroyed. Highest snow depth of the season in mid-April???

Bo continues to get destroyed. Highest snow depth of the season in mid-April???

ha!...... 31st- 4th totaled 28" (MQT 23")

.....And a crazy low of -3 here and...As of 5am ET, the low temperature at NWS Marquette is -6F. This is the second lowest temperature this late in the "cold" season over the past 50 years.

Here comes the next round tonight... and Thur night/Friday looks pretty Wintry too.

post-41-0-57742400-1459851225_thumb.png

Archived