joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, since we're still on the same page where we started talking about the Nina, I can still make a case that it's still relevant. I wanna post the JAMSTEC that updated today.

Very aggressive with the transition.

FIf79cu.gif

f4OJFLX.gif

Here's how it performed at this time in 2010 regarding the 2010-2012 Nina

VDo83bm.gif

Not gonna lie... starting to get excited about the Nina. I know, we still have to pass through the spring barrier unfortunately. That sucks.

Sorry, since we're still on the same page where we started talking about the Nina, I can still make a case that it's still relevant. I wanna post the JAMSTEC that updated today.

Very aggressive with the transition.

FIf79cu.gif

f4OJFLX.gif

Here's how it performed at this time in 2010 regarding the 2010-2012 Nina

VDo83bm.gif

Not gonna lie... starting to get excited about the Nina. I know, we still have to pass through the spring barrier unfortunately. That sucks.

Its been funny to watch all these forecast calling for a rapid nino decline since november..... and here we sit

I played around with some ONI/snowfall numbers a few months ago. I found that winter snowfall in the GTA averages 62" when the DJF ONI is between 0.0 and -1.5. The peak tends to lie in the moderate nina range.

ONI 0.0 to -0.4: 55"   ONI -0.5 to -0.9: 59"  ONI -1.0 to -1.5: 72" ONI -1.6 to -2.0:  40"

During most strong Ninas, the SE Ridge commonly rears its ugly head along with the dreaded ++EPO.  Attached are temp anomaly maps with all strong Ninas since 1950 and all strong Ninas since 1950 with the two cold exceptions (1970-71 & 2010-2011) removed.  On the bottom map, you can see the SE ridge and the +EPO torch much of the country and to some extent the top map.

We definitely get iffier in strong Ninas, although for the sub-forum overall La Nina's are decidedly better, and I think the maps you posted bear that out...with a strong temp gradient over the southern/eastern end of the sub which would suggest overall storminess and possibly above average snow for a lot of the Great Lakes. If we got a strong La Nina and continue the trend mentioned by csnavywx of a more negative AO it could work out well for Ohio still...which could happen with a likely -QBO next winter.

ENSO region 4 and 1+2 have cooled the most recently.

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

If we have a solid moderate to strong la Niña and a tame SE ridge, we could really be rockin' the storms in the subforum like Stebo said yesterday.

The EURO cyclops low continues to trend into the sub tropics. Would side with the GFS vs. the EURO in the long range.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_10.png

Call it whatever you wish, models blow bringing energy off the pacific after 168hrs(and have enough issues at 100hrs lol). They are to fast and take stuff in the GofA and have it over Minnesota a day later. That creates a situation where a ridge pops up where the former energy was stationed.

That isn't truncation though... that is a model bias with respect to the speed energy is moving which is a completely different thing. The ridge popping up where a trough was though is usually how things go especially in a progressive pattern, which we are in.

That isn't truncation though... that is a model bias with respect to the speed energy is moving which is a completely different thing. The ridge popping up where a trough was though is usually how things go especially in a progressive pattern, which we are in.

Note, the GFS changes resolution from 13km to a lower resolution at 240 hours. If you see a weird thing at 168 hours, it can't be the truncation problem.

all potential fantasy snow opportunities over the next 10 days have evaporated. So much for the "just-bring-the-cold-and-the-snow-will-take-care-of-itself" theory.

Downwind of the lakes that theory has worked well. Which IMO the original intent of that comment referenced the lake belts and most of Michigan. ALEK and his blanket statements of mild weather might hold some merit but given poor performance on many of the globals it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Downwind of the lakes that theory has worked well. Which IMO the original intent of that comment referenced the lake belts and most of Michigan. ALEK and his blanket statements of mild weather might hold some merit but given poor performance on many of the globals it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Wasn't referring to a specific post or comment.  I've seen it alluded to throughout the forum, that if we get the cold, snow is inevitable and it wasn't a reference to LES. (that's obvious anyways).

Ironically the biggest snowstorm for the sub came in the midst of a period in which the storm was bookended with relatively mild air.

Archived