joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone seen the euro weeklies lately? Wondering what the show. The torchy cfs of all models has cold through the end of Jan, wondering what the euro weeklies show (I ask because I dont know of any other long range guidance other than the GFS lol).

Euro weeklies look wretched for weeks 2-4 with a ++AO possible by Weeks 3-4.

Week 1: -AO goes neutral; -NAO goes neutral; EPO is basically neutral and PNA is positive.  Below normal temps, but exiting by the end of Week 1.

Week 2: AO neutral, +NAO, +EPO (heights fall over AK and the GOAK) and +PNA.  Gets torchy over the northern half of the USA.

Week 3: +AO, +NAO, ++EPO (nasty one eyed monster over Bering Strait) and neutral PNA.  Temps above normal over north but not as bad as Week 2 though ++EPO w/ the one eyed monster would argue for December like warmth.

Week 4: +AO, +NAO, +EPO begins to fall though and +PNA.  Temps still above normal over north but become more normal by end of run.  One eyed monster begins to retrograde allowing for a PNA ridge to pop.

Ick.

Euro weeklies look wretched for weeks 2-4 with a ++AO possible by Weeks 3-4.

Week 1: -AO goes neutral; -NAO goes neutral; EPO is basically neutral and PNA is positive.  Below normal temps, but exiting by the end of Week 1.

Week 2: AO neutral, +NAO, +EPO (heights fall over AK and the GOAK) and +PNA.  Gets torchy over the northern half of the USA.

Week 3: +AO, +NAO, ++EPO (nasty one eyed monster over Bering Strait) and neutral PNA.  Temps above normal over north but not as bad as Week 2 though ++EPO w/ the one eyed monster would argue for December like warmth.

Week 4: +AO, +NAO, +EPO begins to fall though and +PNA.  Temps still above normal over north but become more normal by end of run.  One eyed monster begins to retrograde allowing for a PNA ridge to pop.

Ick.

ick is right. Im hoping for some snowstorm chances the last week of Jan (will be off). Of course, in the dead of winter, temps are not usually an issue (barring a true torch), the question is, will it be active?

Interestingly, it sounds like the euro weeklies are the warmest of all models to end Jan (compared to cfs,, gefs, geps).

I pray to god this happens, you talk about a blockbuster winter if that happens. We will be neck deep in storms of all types.

Doesn't a strong la Niña really speed up the jet stream? Doesn't it lead to a roller coaster ride throughout the winter?

Doesn't a strong la Niña really speed up the jet stream? Doesn't it lead to a roller coaster ride throughout the winter?

A strong La Niña weakens the STJ which makes it harder for the whole continent to be flooded with warmth. It also tends to put a ridge over the N. Pac (as opposed to a low) due to tropical forcing being located much farther west than during an El Niño which favors troughing in the western and central US along with a stronger polar jet.

A strong La Niña weakens the STJ which makes it harder for the whole continent to be flooded with warmth. It also tends to put a ridge over the N. Pac (as opposed to a low) due to tropical forcing being located much farther west than during an El Niño which favors troughing in the western and central US along with a stronger polar jet.

Ok - thank. Wasn't sure. 

Been awhile since a la Niña was far under -1.5.

I'd say let's go for a record breaker.

oni.jpg

Yeah, I don't understand why some were saying this was going to be a tough winter to forecast. Basically, a super Nino is your best friend. The only time it gets contested is if you get a wildly negative -AO (like the one we just got via a ridiculously record-strong Kara Sea ridge -- complete with above freezing temps all the way to the pole). But, as soon as that backs off, it's back to firehose flooding of the source regions with warm Pacific air.

Going to have to hope that the strat PV breaks down in earnest soon.

Yeah, I don't understand why some were saying this was going to be a tough winter to forecast. Basically, a super Nino is your best friend. The only time it gets contested is if you get a wildly negative -AO (like the one we just got via a ridiculously record-strong Kara Sea ridge -- complete with above freezing temps all the way to the pole). But, as soon as that backs off, it's back to firehose flooding of the source regions with warm Pacific air.

Going to have to hope that the strat PV breaks down in earnest soon.

Even a stratospheric PV breakdown may not save the winter. This comes from Dr. Cohen:

And despite our expectations of a polar vortex split, the models are predicting a displacement of the polar vortex bodily into northern Eurasia, which is reminiscent of late January 2006.  In the period of January-March 2006, temperatures averaged well below normal across Northern Eurasia but were mild across North America.  Whether this temperature anomaly pattern will repeat is hard to tell, but so far January 2016 is likely to average colder in the Central and Eastern United States than January 2006 and probably favors an overall relatively colder solution.

During most strong Ninas, the SE Ridge commonly rears its ugly head along with the dreaded ++EPO.  Attached are temp anomaly maps with all strong Ninas since 1950 and all strong Ninas since 1950 with the two cold exceptions (1970-71 & 2010-2011) removed.  On the bottom map, you can see the SE ridge and the +EPO torch much of the country and to some extent the top map.

post-1943-0-32854900-1452883392_thumb.jp

post-1943-0-39764200-1452883399_thumb.jp

More maps....The first map is of strong Nina winters following a strong El Nino.  The second map shows all Ninas following a strong Nino.  Winters are since 1950.

I don't know about you guys in MI, IL, IN, WI but I will be rooting for a weak to a somewhat moderate Nina for next winter as I am more affected by the SE Ridge.  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:

post-1943-0-01139700-1452884520_thumb.jp

post-1943-0-88035100-1452884526_thumb.jp

Archived