• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

I'm happy for the northern storm pattern over the next week. Ontario trails are still a mess up there, I'm planning on heading up to SSM Ontario on the 12th through 15th period... and perhaps the next two book-ended weekends following that. I need some snow in that area.

It's similar to the Big Bay route near you, lots of rock sticking out of the trail... Oh, my cousin blew out his front A-Arms on a lame creek flowing over the trail in that area!

Surprising just how rugged some of the trails are here before 3' of snow

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel bad for complaining too much, but I'm still in a snow hole regionally speaking. The airport has outdone my total in pretty much every decent snow this year, and now I got a dusting last night while Merton in the next county over, Waukesha, received 7". Just seems brutal, even though it's nothing compared to what Ohio posters are going through.

I feel bad for complaining too much, but I'm still in a snow hole regionally speaking. The airport has outdone my total in pretty much every decent snow this year, and now I got a dusting last night while Merton in the next county over, Waukesha, received 7". Just seems brutal, even though it's nothing compared to what Ohio posters are going through.

How much snow have you had this winter?

That's basically every winter in central Ohio. I used to be a winter fanatic, now unless I chase a blizzard like this last one, I couldn't care less about watching models for here. Appalachians are a killer for us over to Pittsburgh.

This is actually wrong. You're just at a bad latitude. It also doesn't help being so far away from the great lakes and the added moisture they can contribute to boost yearly totals. Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh PA, Philadelphia, Baltimore all at similar latitudes average around the same amount of snowfall per year on average. This is just a record El Nino and anyone that expected normal to above normal snowfall or anything that resembled a "normal" winter would be disappointed.

Pittsburgh averages 41.9", Indy 25.9", Philly 22", Columbus 25", DC 15.4", Baltimore 21"

So the notion that the Apps kills anyone is wrong. The closest residence to the Apps average the most snowfall. Oh, the "synoptic desert" stuff again. The Apps kills all synoptic activity! ^_^

I will say it is much harder to get big dogs in those locations in comparison to being around a rich moisture source like the Atlantic Ocean.

This is actually wrong. You're just at a bad latitude. It also doesn't help being so far away from the great lakes and the added moisture they can contribute to boost yearly totals. Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh PA, Philadelphia, Baltimore all at similar latitudes average around the same amount of snowfall per year on average. This is just a record El Nino and anyone that expected normal to above normal snowfall or anything that resembled a "normal" winter would be disappointed.

Pittsburgh averages 41.9", Indy 25.9", Philly 22", Columbus 25", DC 15.4", Baltimore 21"

So the notion that the Apps kills anyone is wrong. The closest residence to the Apps average the most snowfall. Oh, the "synoptic desert" stuff again. The Apps kills all synoptic activity! ^_^

I will say it is much harder to get big dogs in those locations in comparison to being around a rich moisture source like the Atlantic Ocean.

Man, you've really got a weird obsession with trying to deny the existence of a sort of "snow-shadow" W  of the Apps. I've seen mets talk about in AFDs or in HPC discussions. It's a real thing. And if Lake Erie ever gets paved over you'll feel its wrath.

Not exact, but I've had about 15-16". I had 4" in the late November storm, just over 6" on December 28th and a few 1-2" events in the last couple weeks. Definitely below normal, though Mitchell Airport is not that much below normal.

So not terrible, yes below normal but there are far worse values out there even in state.

Man, you've really got a weird obsession with trying to deny the existence of a sort of "snow-shadow" W of the Apps. I've seen mets talk about in AFDs or in HPC discussions. It's a real thing. And if Lake Erie ever gets paved over you'll feel its wrath.

It's simply not true. And I just proved it with actual data...

Explain to me how Pittsburgh has such a higher annual snowfall than places with similar latitudes including the eastern seaboard?

Explain to me how Pittsburgh has such a higher annual snowfall than places with similar latitudes including the eastern seaboard?

But you haven really proven anything relevant to the discussion that areas west of the mountains are dead-zones for big storms. Seasonal snowfall data can't prove or disprove that. Boston and Detroit are roughly at the same latitude and receive roughly the same amount of snow per season, but how they get there is drastically different. The propensity for Boston to have more large snowstorms (and Detroit to have many fewer) is not going to reflected in that data.

But you haven really proven anything relevant to the discussion that areas west of the mountains are dead-zones for big storms. Seasonal snowfall data can't prove or disprove that. Boston and Detroit are roughly at the same latitude and receive roughly the same amount of snow per season, but how they get there is drastically different. The propensity for Boston to have more large snowstorms (and Detroit to have many fewer) is not going to reflected in that data.

^^^You got it with the bolded.

It's longitude that the problem (as far as frequency of large snowstorms between Boston, Chicago and Detroit), not latitude...

Most areas are below normal to-date (including Chicago and Detroit), so it's not like your area is experiencing anything unique from the rest of us.

Really? Pittsburgh has higher totals because they get nickels and dimes of lake effect snow showers and snow squalls from the lakes. It's quite common for them to get 1 inch dropping snow squalls (that snarl traffic on those hills) that develop from a bit of orographic lift. Other than that, they are part of the "snow desert" that we speak of.

And it makes perfect meteorological sense....rapidly deepening storms that would normally be our bombs get transferred towards the coast due to the existence of the thermal contrast induced baroclinic zone. It makes sense. I need to move. The end.

I agree with both of these. While "big dogs" are much more rare west of the Apps for reasons you already mentioned. Just wanted to show that areas west of the Apps are not complete synoptic deserts as the examples prove for places of similar latitude.

Really? Pittsburgh has higher totals because they get nickels and dimes of lake effect snow showers and snow squalls from the lakes. It's quite common for them to get 1 inch dropping snow squalls (that snarl traffic on those hills) that develop from a bit of orographic lift. Other than that, they are part of the "snow desert" that we speak of.

Pittsburgh does nickle and dime itself via synoptic/clipper systems. They don't receive to much of their yearly snowfall from Lake effect being so far away from lake influences. The orographic lift stuff I agree with. My uncle and aunt lived there for a decade and used to visit them all the time, I know their climate.

And they can receive "big dogs" while being the closest city to the App. desert...

http://www.weather.gov/media/pbz/records/snow.pdf

Pittsburgh has had 2 snowfalls of over 20" in the last 25 years. 25.6" in 1993 and 21.1" in 2010

Just thought I would throw that out there. ;)

And DC has 2 in its history? Barely 2 at that... ;) Philly only has 5 as well.

1.    28.0”  (January 27-29, 1922)

2.    20.0”  (February 12-14, 1899)

3.    18.7”  (February 18-19, 1979)

T4.    17.8" (January 22-23, 2016)

T4.    17.8”  (February 5-6, 2010)

6.    17.3”  (January 7-9, 1996)

7.    16.6”  (February 10-11, 1983)

8.    16.4”  (December 18-19, 2009)

9.    16.4”  (February 16-18, 2003)

10.  14.4”  (February 15-16, 1958

Pittsburgh does nickle and dime itself via synoptic/clipper systems. They don't receive to much of their yearly snowfall from Lake effect being so far away from lake influences. The orographic lift stuff I agree with. My uncle and aunt lived there for a decade and used to visit them all the time, I know their climate.

And they can receive "big dogs" while being the closest city to the App. desert...

http://www.weather.gov/media/pbz/records/snow.pdf

They are plenty close enough for lake influences. The orographic lift is connected to moisture coming off the Great Lakes. There have been many squalls that move down through Pittsburgh on a strong N or NW wind. Hundreds of miles away down in the NC mountains they have lake influences connected to orograpic lift.

Archived