joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sept 24-Oct 1stish SE Sig Rain event

downeastnc

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.5 more inches last night following one heavy rain shower followed by steady rain all night.

Thats a grand total of 5 inches since 6 PM Thursday.

I am always excited about these events because they always over perform here. Although, I could do without the pond in my backyard

I think the local NWS offices did a really good job with this 'thing', and their respective forecasts, despite what the model chaos was showing. Early on, they speculated that the coastal front might not make any inroads, and it didn't. Rainfall amounts seem to be pretty much in line with what they said for the most part.... widespread 1"-2" with areas of heavier amounts. Very good job for such a complex system.

The storm total precip on the radars are really underdoing the totals on this system. Some actual amounts are to 2-3 times what those radars are showing. Overall this has been a very nice event on the Carolinas and parts of GA.

Ive seen at least 6 in for the event. Some spots on the eastern boundary of Ft Jackson along US 601 got up to 15 in just last night alone. So very fortunate that didnt hit downtown Columbia. That wouldve been a real disaster.

Looks like the onshore flow is starting to reload and push westward again. Not with yesterday's amounts, but light radar returns are starting to fill in. Currently moderate drizzle here ;) We've pretty much had drizzle or mist all day, even though it's not showing up on radar. Now, it is.

Wind stronger today than last few and its a bit more NE, the sounds are full and tides are gonna be a issue since its a super moon tomorrow night......even here in Gville the river has been very tidal and its actually flowing west right now as the Pamlico Sound/river fills up on that E to NE wind.......

The tides are really obvious on the gauge here in town and the overall rise is due to the river backing up more so than any rainfall.....

Archived