• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sept 24-Oct 1stish SE Sig Rain event

downeastnc

My eyes might be playing tricks, but it looks to me like a secondary ULL is trying to form down in FLA in the vicinity of West Palm Beach, just judging by the kink in the WV loop. Wondering what influence that might have on the moisture transport.

Or, maybe I'm completely wrong with what I'm seeing?

post-987-0-49527400-1443194848_thumb.jpg

Nah, we've just been duped by the models once again.  Another widespread 2-3 inch, with locally higher amounts, 2 day heavy rain event that turns into 8 hours of light to moderate rain, followed by sprinkles.  We will never learn.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have slightly over a inch in my gauge, that includes yesterday but its dumping now and the main axis is just east of me if that does shift west then later tonight we could get 2-3" more at least here and my hunting club way downeast in Beaufort is getting hammered which sucks since its archery season and the mosquitos are gonna be out like crazy now.

My eyes might be playing tricks, but it looks to me like a secondary ULL is trying to form down in FLA in the vicinity of West Palm Beach, just judging by the kink in the WV loop. Wondering what influence that might have on the moisture transport.

Or, maybe I'm completely wrong with what I'm seeing?

wv-animated.gif

Overall it is as unusual a setup as the NWS Raleigh report suggests.  I would think that what you are describing is possible too.  The Gulf and Florida-Atlantic areas are definitely potential areas for unusual development not able to be predicted due to this being such a rapidly changing retrograde low.

I was away when this one came out shortly after noon...

mcd1825.gif

SUMMARY...A BRIEF TORNADO THREAT CANNOT BE RULED OUT THIS AFTERNOON   ACROSS COASTAL NC /MAINLY ALONG AND NORTH OF COASTAL ONSLOW COUNTY/   NORTH THROUGH POINT LOOKOUT TO IN VICINITY OF HATTERAS.   DISCUSSION...TRENDS IN MHX RADAR IMAGERY AND SURFACE ANALYSIS   INDICATED A SUB-SYNOPTIC SURFACE LOW LOCATED TO THE SOUTHEAST OF   POINT LOOKOUT NC WITH A MARINE BOUNDARY EXTENDING NORTHEAST...   PARALLEL TO THE OUTER BANKS.  RICH TROPICAL MOISTURE IS PRESENT FROM   COASTAL NC TO OFFSHORE WITH SURFACE DEW POINTS IN THE LOWER 70S   ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST AND HIGHER THETAE AIR RESIDING OFFSHORE.    RADAR VELOCITY DATA SHOWED STORMS OFFSHORE HAVING LOW-LEVEL ROTATION   IN VICINITY AND SOUTH OF THE SUB-SYNOPTIC LOW...AND WITH SOME OF THE   CELLS TRACKING WEST TOWARD THE OUTER BANKS.  HOWEVER..THUS FAR...   THESE ROTATION COUPLETS HAVE WEAKENED AFTER MOVING WEST OF THE   COASTAL/MARINE BOUNDARY...WHERE THE NEAR-SURFACE AIR REMAINS MORE   STABLE.   SHORT-TERM GUIDANCE SUGGESTS SURFACE WINDS SHOULD VEER SOME   TODAY...WITH MORE OF AN EASTERLY TRAJECTORY...RESULTING IN THE   COASTAL BOUNDARY SHIFTING CLOSER TO THE NC COAST.  AS THIS OCCURS...   ANY STORMS WITH ROTATIONAL COUPLETS IN THE HIGH THETAE AIR MASS   COULD POSE A TORNADO THREAT.  THE UNCONDITIONAL PROBABILITY OF A   TORNADO AND/OR STRONGER WIND GUST REMAINS LOW...GIVEN THE DEARTH OF   AVAILABLE INSTABILITY.   ..PETERS/CORFIDI.. 09/25/2015

Hi folks, Coming out of my summer hiatus.  Had a question for the board.  Is this kind of regional weather pattern with the LP possible in mid-winter assuming significantly colder air in place?  Would be a decent snow event.

I highly doubt it since we had winds coming in off the water from the east for the last 3 days and then a strong southeasterly flow which tends to bring in warm humid air. It is very possibly that snow would be the result in the mountains but not the piedmont and definitely not the coast.

Had some good rain late afternoon and early evening. Up to .82" today, 1.42" event total - so far. Very light drizzle now. Actually had an outflow boundary pass through --- was evident on radar as well. Rain was falling in sheets when that came through around 5:30ish. That boundary is going through Dunn right now.

Finally much needed rain that covers almost all of SC with at least 1 inch, with many areas with much more. Still not a lot yet from the Charlotte metro to around Hickory though, but radar does show some rain up in that area now.We finally got the ground wet enough that standing water did not immediately soak in. My rain gauge hasn't been working, but I'd say we have received close to 1.5 here so far. 

Finally much needed rain that covers almost all of SC with at least 1 inch, with many areas with much more. Still not a lot yet from the Charlotte metro to around Hickory though, but radar does show some rain up in that area now.We finally got the ground wet enough that standing water did not immediately soak in. My rain gauge hasn't been working, but I'd say we have received close to 1.5 here so far. 

I've actually received 1.44 inches IMBY since the event began yesterday evening.  This morning and early afternoon were pretty quiet, but the rain picked up in earnest again around 5 PM this evening.  It's hardly showing up on radar, but we continue to get steady light rain here.  I think I've got a good shot at over 2 inches by the time it's all said and done on Sunday.

I've actually received 1.44 inches IMBY since the event began yesterday evening. This morning and early afternoon were pretty quiet, but the rain picked up in earnest again around 5 PM this evening. It's hardly showing up on radar, but we continue to get steady light rain here. I think I've got a good shot at over 2 inches by the time it's all said and done on Sunday.

0.65" here

Archived