• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about that time....

http://highcountryhost.com/nc-high-country-fall-color-guide/

zvX0aKD.jpg

Conceived by Howard Neufeld and Michael Denslow

Map Constructed by Michael Denslow

This map above gives an estimation of the timing of fall color peaks for the various regions of North Carolina. If you have used our map in the past, you’ll see that we have added two new features to the mountain section of our fall color map: towns and scenic roads. We hope these new graphics help you orient yourself as you decide where to visit in the North Carolina Mountains during our fall foliage season. This map differs from most other such maps because it combines the effects of both elevation and latitude on fall color, whereas most other maps simply use elevation alone.

We constructed the map using the following assumptions. First, we assumed that fall color would start earlier at higher elevations. We then figured (guessed!) that for each 1,000' increase in elevation, peak fall colors would occur about one week earlier, with the exception of those areas near the coast, where we divided the elevation into 500' sections.

For the latitude effect, we used data from published papers suggesting that each degree of latitude north is equivalent to going up in elevation by about 200 m (656'). This means that if you were to compare 3,000' down in Murphy with 3,000' in northern Ashe County (which are about 2.5 degrees apart), it would be as if you were really at 4,640' in Ashe County, at least fall color peak-wise. In other words, the same elevation in the north is cooler than the same elevation in the south, which causes the vegetation to differ. The resultant cooler temperatures mean that peak fall colors will come earlier to those same elevations in the north than in the south.

Thus, our map is among the first to take both elevation and latitude into consideration. However, it is only an approximation, and we would love to hear from any of you as to whether we have hit the fall color peak correctly or missed it. Over the next few years, we hope to "adjust" the map to better model the progression of fall colors throughout our state.

Thanks to Michael Denslow of the Department of Biology at ASU for creating this graphic

And from Fall Foilage Network:

R18Lp3b.gif

5UDEIWZ.gif

Robert at Wxsouth says it will be weeks before much rain falls in the southeast and that the drought will get worse. He also expects Texas to get back in a major drought. Basically no sign of the El Nino pattern anytime soon.

He was calling for a wet flow for weeks, it never happened. It's really hard to take what he or any other subscription met says. They have to be sensationalist and it leads to busts.

Has anyone noticed how god awful the GFS has been with dew points? It might not matter now but later on down the road, that might be the difference in borderline winter storms.

Yeah its been horrible with that all summer, it was almost always 3-6 degrees to warm with temps but usually pretty close on DP's here in the east ( its a safe bet they are gonna be high lol) ..... on the other hand its been showing the "low" off the SE coast moving inland over the Carolinas for almost a week now against the grain of the other models and now all the other models have come to it....so it does have a rare win every now and again.

Yesterday should be our last day topping the 80 degree mark here in the Triad. Hopefully we can say the same for the 70's in about 2-3 weeks. 

Time to start paying attn to the northern pacific. How it shakes out and sets up over the next 8 weeks is gonna be a big piece to the puzzle in determining if we get hosed with pac air all winter (aka 97-98) or get the goodies el-nino has to offer without a pacific firehose flooding the conus  (..09-10)

WxSouth is now saying we should get some good precip for a while.

WxSouth
Just now · 

A broad upper low will call the Southeast "home" for a long time. There will be a developing Atlantic fetch of moisture pushing inland this week, at times bringing batches of moisture well inland from Virginia, southward to Florida. As time goes by, several rounds of rain will get pushed in off the Atlantic, maybe hitting the Carolinas and Georgia pretty hard with very good rainfall totals by late week, and then the Gulf is completely open for business too, so we'll have a lot of moisture aiming for the Southeast for awhile. It looks unsettled and cooler. We will have to watch both the Atlantic just offshore, and in the Deep Gulf later on, for possible tropical systems that could add extra moisture, but that's a ways off.

WxSouth is now saying we should get some good precip for a while.

WxSouth
Just now · 

A broad upper low will call the Southeast "home" for a long time. There will be a developing Atlantic fetch of moisture pushing inland this week, at times bringing batches of moisture well inland from Virginia, southward to Florida. As time goes by, several rounds of rain will get pushed in off the Atlantic, maybe hitting the Carolinas and Georgia pretty hard with very good rainfall totals by late week, and then the Gulf is completely open for business too, so we'll have a lot of moisture aiming for the Southeast for awhile. It looks unsettled and cooler. We will have to watch both the Atlantic just offshore, and in the Deep Gulf later on, for possible tropical systems that could add extra moisture, but that's a ways off.

Ill believe that crap when i see it. 

I thought it was supposed to be dry for a long period of time?? That's what I read a week ago I believe !!? Now RAL and GSO and East, will likely see 1-3 inches atleast, through Sunday . I look for CLT to be the western edge of the heavy rain shield . I may have to travel to Durham this weekend, just to see rain!? :(

I thought it was supposed to be dry for a long period of time?? That's what I read a week ago I believe !!? Now RAL and GSO and East, will likely see 1-3 inches atleast, through Sunday . I look for CLT to be the western edge of the heavy rain shield . I may have to travel to Durham this weekend, just to see rain!? :(

The deluge started  a little early here. LOL

It will be interesting to see how the potential CAD sets up for this weekend: 

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
AS OF 350 AM TUESDAY..

INCREASING CONFIDENCE OF HYBRID CAD AND UNSETTLED CONDITIONS.

THE MODELS INDICATE THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF A MERIDIONAL SOUTHERN
STREAM TROUGH ALOFT FROM THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES TO THE WEST-CENTRAL
GOM PER WV SATELLITE AND 00Z RAOB DATA WILL SEPARATE AND EVOLVE INTO
A CLOSED MID-UPPER LOW OVER THE SE STATES THROUGH FRI. THIS LOW IS
THEN FORECAST TO LIFT SLOWLY NORTH THROUGH THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS
THIS WEEKEND...IN RESPONSE TO THE RE-LOADING/RETROGRESSION OF THE
MEAN TROUGH BY A KICKER SHORTWAVE TROUGH FORECAST TO ROUND A
SOUTHERN PLAINS/NORTHERN MEXICAN RIDGE...EN ROUTE FROM THE BAJA OF
CA THIS MORNING TO THE TX GULF COAST BY THIS WEEKEND. THIS SOUTHERN
STREAM EVOLUTION WILL OCCUR AT THE BASE OF A MID-UPPER RIDGE
AXIS...IN REX BLOCK CONFIGURATION...ALONG 40 NORTH/LAT.

THIS RIDGE AXIS IS FORECAST TO BE DISPLACED SLIGHTLY FARTHER NORTH
THAN MODEL GUIDANCE OF RECENT DAYS. SUCH A SCENARIO WILL OPEN THE
DOOR FOR ATLANTIC MOISTURE WRAPPING AROUND THE SOUTHERN PERIPHERY OF
THE RIDGE TO BE DRAWN ACROSS A COASTAL FRONT AND ATOP A RE-INFORCING
CANADIAN SURFACE HIGH...INTO THE SOUTHERN MID-ATLANTIC STATES/NC...
CULMINATING IN A PROBABLE PROLONGED HYBRID DAMMING EVENT THAT WOULD
PEAK EARLY THIS WEEKEND.

INDEED...CENTRAL NC SHOULD BECOME FAVORABLY LOCATED IN A REGION OF
PERSISTENT QG-FORCING FOR ASCENT OWING TO BOTH THE SLOWLY
APPROACHING SOUTHERN STREAM UPPER LOW AND A STRENGTHENING LOW LEVEL
WARM (AND MOIST) ADVECTION REGIME...WHICH WILL YIELD A GOOD CHANCE
OF RAIN SPREADING NORTH ACROSS NC THU AND THU NIGHT...THEN
CONTINUING IN PERIODS OF RAIN AND/OR DRIZZLE THROUGH MUCH OF THE
WEEKEND...WITH HIGH TEMPS BELOW TO WELL BELOW AVG...PARTICULARLY
OVER THE PIEDMONT...COURTESY OF THE EXPECTED CAD.

THE PERSISTENT FORCING FOR ASCENT NEAR/ATOP THE COASTAL FRONT WILL
FAVOR CYCLOGENESIS ALONG THE NC/VA COAST; AND ONLY AFTER THE
ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW PULLS AWAY FROM THE COAST...LATE SUN-MON...
WOULD SKIES BRIGHTEN AND TEMPERATURES REBOUND.
&&

I wouldnt mind some rain but not this much....this much means grass cutting and mosquitos

attachicon.gifp168i.gif

We could use every drop of that rain eastern NC will get over upstate South Carolina. According to the GFS though, our area will get .25 at best right through day 16. i'm starting to think the southern US from Cal to the Carolinas will be very dry this fall and winter despite Elnino.

Archived