• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2015 Pattern Discussion

Didn't expect this, when just yesterday they were expecting about 1/3" for the Monday 'event'.

359 PM EST SUN NOV 8 2015THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA..DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY.LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL ASSOCIATED WITH A COASTAL LOW MAY LEAD TOSOME MINOR FLOODING IN URBAN AND OTHER FLOOD PRONE AREAS ONMONDAY.

Our local point forecast now says...

Monday
Rain. High near 61. Northeast wind 9 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
Monday Night
Rain. Low around 59. Northeast wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Trade ya lol, I think two days ago they had partly sunny for Monday and 30% chance showers for Tues....it also looks to be getting in here quicker that mainly after 11am bit for tomorrow seems slow watching the radar.

Tonight
A chance of rain, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Northeast wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Monday
Rain, mainly after 11am. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 66. Northeast wind 10 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Monday Night
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 63. East wind 6 to 11 mph becoming south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Tuesday
A chance of rain before 7am, then a chance of showers, mainly between 7am and 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 74. South wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well so far we have about .30-.40" of rain, its pretty windy out so the gauge is prolly a little on the low side and it has .27" in it......no where close to the 2-4" they where calling for last night and the radar doesnt scream huge totals either but I will wait till the surface low offshore passes before calling it a bust....

So much for fall being the best season for nice weather. It's been too rainy and cloudy for me. And I hope all this precip doesn't shut off when we get into winter.

It would be kinda funny if our winter ends up being the kind of weather we typically have in fall ( sunny and dry). Maybe the impacts from El Nino are peaking early. I certainly don't expect any winter month to be as wet as November has been ( and October in some areas).

It would be kinda funny if our winter ends up being the kind of weather we typically have in fall ( sunny and dry). Maybe the impacts from El Nino are peaking early. I certainly don't expect any winter month to be as wet as November has been ( and October in some areas).

That's what I am worried about now. It would be unusual for this pattern to continue for months, but maybe it can with the El Nino. I guess it doesn't have to be as wet to still get good snow. But the more precip you have, the more chances you have of getting snow, too. I think what has been unusual is how long the precip sticks around when it does come, too. It usually stays around for 2 or 3 days before it dries out. 

Not sure what to make of the long rang indices.  

NAO - Falls to near neutral and then averages near neutral for the LR. Scatters + & - runs with more - . 

AO    - Falls towards neutral and then averages near neutral for LR. Big scattering + & - runs with more + .

PNA  - Continues to average near neutral with a turn towards positive in LR.    

So basically what do you get when everything is neutral?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Looks like we may get a week off from the rain. Interesting the daily SOI reading is positive for the first time it seems like forever. Active MJO, positive SOI and super strong Nino...what is going on.

Not buying any sustained -AO for awhile, the PV is roid'ing up right now.

Looks like we may get a week off from the rain. Interesting the daily SOI reading is positive for the first time it seems like forever. Active MJO, positive SOI and super strong Nino...what is going on.

Not buying any sustained -AO for awhile, the PV is roid'ing up right now.

We were locked into an El Nino pattern in the tropics from July to mid-Oct...since then, there's been some disruption to that locked in pattern in the tropics...probably just a temporary deal, but we'll see.  MJO Weekly Update covers it - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/mjoupdate.pdf

Nice snows ongoing across all the Rocky Mountain states. Tell you if you like to ski and got the finances then head to the southern rockies this year. It will be a banner year as well as the southern Sierra Nevada.

As for our mtns jury is out. Not going to have up slopes blowing in continuously. The snows will come more from synoptic events this year. And get used to complaining about the magic blue 850 line never making it down south to meet all the moisture that's coming. It will hook up a couple times and have a good shot to put down a quality high qpf snowstorm for some. But this will be the year of freezing rain and sleet imo, espeacilly in my neck of the woods. There isn't a climo metric but greensboro will get 200 plus percent it's normal frzng rain drizzle sleet even though it may only avg slightly on eitheir side of normal snow wise. It's the nature of the pattern we will have. A good sign suporting my argument is the cads we have had already this year. Yesterday we stayed in the 40s all day with heavy rain. The HP'S want have any trouble sliding through the NE this year. And normal canadian air will work fine at the surface trapped up against the mtns.

Nice snows ongoing across all the Rocky Mountain states. Tell you if you like to ski and got the finances then head to the southern rockies this year. It will be a banner year as well as the southern Sierra Nevada.

As for our mtns jury is out. Not going to have up slopes blowing in continuously. The snows will come more from synoptic events this year. And get used to complaining about the magic blue 850 line never making it down south to meet all the moisture that's coming. It will hook up a couple times and have a good shot to put down a quality high qpf snowstorm for some. But this will be the year of freezing rain and sleet imo, espeacilly in my neck of the woods. There isn't a climo metric but greensboro will get 200 plus percent it's normal frzng rain drizzle sleet even though it may only avg slightly on eitheir side of normal snow wise. It's the nature of the pattern we will have. A good sign suporting my argument is the cads we have had already this year. Yesterday we stayed in the 40s all day with heavy rain. The HP'S want have any trouble sliding through the NE this year. And normal canadian air will work fine at the surface trapped up against the mtns.

I think this is a good assessment. The moisture will not be a problem but I just get the feeling that temps will be. The temps may well average below normal but it may just be due to the cloud and rain; the jury is still out on that. So far, we have had very little in the way of cold this fall; a decent shot in Sept, and just one good shot in Oct. This weekend will be our first shot in Nov. But most of us still have not seen that first freeze. Not so unusual for the 10th of Nov, but if we don't get it with this shot coming up it could be awhile. Per NOAA, the latest date of first freeze at GSP is Dec 14th. That could be flirted with if we don't see it with this next shot. Hopefully the Early Dec "flip" is on and we don't have to wait forever for some cold, but I think this winter, could disappoint if we don't get the jet stream to help us out (which will be a function of the Pacific and any blocking/lack of). I agree that this is feeling like more of an ice year than a snow year for us Lee folks and that is not nearly as much fun IMO. If we can get a little blocking, or those western ridges like WXsouth keeps hinting at then perhaps...   

Might see some 70's next week, should be very nice.  So far through the first 10 days of Nov we (RDU) are +9F and only look to continue that the next 10 days.  Central NC's avg highs for mid-Nov is around 60F with an average low of 40F or so.  By beginning of Dec our avg highs are in the mid-50's and lows should be in the 30's.  I wonder when we see our first hard freeze (below 30F) will be....

post-2311-0-82473100-1447271568_thumb.pn

Might see some 70's next week, should be very nice. So far through the first 10 days of Nov we (RDU) are +9F and only look to continue that the next 10 days. Central NC's avg highs for mid-Nov is around 60F with an average low of 40F or so. By beginning of Dec our avg highs are in the mid-50's and lows should be in the 30's. I wonder when we see our first hard freeze (below 30F) will be....

This weekend for our first hard freeze , then a torch til April!

Archived