• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2015 Pattern Discussion

I do not have the Wx background or scientific knowledge that a lot of you do, and I have only been here following weather for a handful of years but I do have my experiences and will add this. The most prominent Nino winter for me was the 2009-2010 winter, because I got to witness the potential firsthand when I was stationed up at Fort Meade. I know Fort Meade and the South are very diverse but I do think the meteorological trends of the Mid-Atlantic and Mid-South are much more comparable than say other regions.

Anyway, I remember it being a scorcher in November. Seeing you guys discussing a hot Noevember gave me the hankering to research it, so today I looked up every single historical temperature reading for NOV 2009, recorded at KBWI. On average, it was 4-8 degrees above normal, all the way into the first week of December. Back then I remember a sudden switch going into the 2nd week of December. The temperatures went 4-8 degrees below normal and by 20DEC2009, I had 2 feet of snow on the ground at my house from the first of a few blizzards that winter. Everybody remembers 'Snowpacolypse and Snowmagedden' now. We totaled nearly 100" at my house on the year for a region that only averaged in the 30's.

Back then I remember researching the winter forecasts in the fall and coming across Joe Bastardi when he was with Accuweather, and his winter forecast for that winter has always stuck with me because he was right on the money. I now know that plenty of people were right on the money but I didn't back then. Outside of the local mountain folklore and farmers almanac that I grew up with, I didn't know a thing a about this forum, Wx blogs, or any educated insight into weather forecasting.

So with all that being said, bring on the warm November and subsequent Nino winter.  :snowing:

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could we have some strong storms today?

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WILL OVERSPREAD
CENTRAL NC FROM MID-MORNING THROUGH EARLY THIS AFTERNOON...THE
STRONGEST OF WHICH WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING STRONG TO
DAMAGING WIND GUSTS...OR AN ISOLATED TORNADO. AN ADDITIONAL BAND
OR TWO OF SHOWERS AND STORMS WILL DEVELOP OVER THE WESTERN
CAROLINAS LATER TODAY...THEN MOVE EAST ACROSS CENTRAL NC LATE THIS
AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. THESE STORMS WILL ALSO BE CAPABLE OF
PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS OR AN ISOLATED TORNADO.

I believe it is! As Brick would say " We don't want to Waste the cold air"! 20 degrees below normal, won't get you squat right now! Save the 20 degree below normal blasts of air for Dec, Jan, Feb!!!!

^^^Yep we want a warm pattern, but it's going to be hard to stomach going into November. The cold weenie inside all of us wants cold now. When I look at the long rang I immediately start wishing/willing the 850 temps to plunge towards the SE.   

One thing to look out for in November if it gets warm will be the fall severe weather period we sometimes get here, especially in NC. Seems a lot of times if it gets warm in November and then a cold front comes through, we get a round of severe weather. Usually happens the week of Thanksgiving around here. 

RAH this afternoon...

ITS WORTH NOTING THAT THE LATEST GFS PATTERN FOR THE PERIOD

VALID DURING SUNDAY EVENING...WHICH FEATURES A WARM FRONT LIFTING

NORTH QUICKLY FOLLOWED BY A LOW PRESSURE WAVE...ALONG WITH THE NOSE

OF A 50+ KT LLJ COUPLED WITH 50+ KT OF 0-6KM BULK SHEAR...ALL

SUGGESTS THE POTENTIAL FOR SUPERCELLS DURING THAT TIME. THERE'S

STILL PLENTY OF TIME FOR THE PATTERN TO CHANGE...BUT DEFINITELY

WORTH KEEPING TABS ON AS WE HEAD THROUGH THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

Archived