• Created
  • Last Reply

Halloween looking good. It's one of the few times that I wish for nice weather:

LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
AS OF 250 PM MONDAY...

SEASONABLE TEMPERATURES IN WESTERLY DOWNSLOPE FLOW WITH ABUNDANT
SUNSHINE ARE ON TAP THURSDAY AS HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN FROM THE
WEST. HIGHS WILL BE MOSTLY IN THE LOW 70S. CONTINUED MOSTLY CLEAR
SKIES BUT SLIGHTLY COOLER TEMPS ARE EXPECTED FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.
MORNING LOWS WILL BE IN THE 40S WITH HIGHS IN THE 60S.

It'll frost in the rural areas this weekend in NC

We will push 80F for several days, will need to turn the AC back on. That's always a good omen, isn't it....

We will push 80F for several days, will need to turn the AC back on. That's always a good omen, isn't it....

I believe it is! As Brick would say " We don't want to Waste the cold air"! 20 degrees below normal, won't get you squat right now! Save the 20 degree below normal blasts of air for Dec, Jan, Feb!!!!

It'll frost in the rural areas this weekend in NC

Modeled dew points will need to drop some more; which that did happen with the last frost/freeze episode (as we got closer).  

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=10&model_dd=27&model_init_hh=06&fhour=96&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

I believe it is! As Brick would say " We don't want to Waste the cold air"! 20 degrees below normal, won't get you squat right now! Save the 20 degree below normal blasts of air for Dec, Jan, Feb!!!!

LOL...we shall see.  From Mike V. on twitter...roasty.  11-15 is just as warm.  

The weeklies were mega +AO and kept roasting thru week 3.  Week 4 looks to be neutral for temps as we get into a more typical nino like pattern but still +AO.  It takes us to end of Nov so would like to see pac low setup and a -AO develop in early Dec.  

CSVE0AMW0AAd1AA.png

LOL...we shall see.  From Mike V. on twitter...roasty.  11-15 is just as warm.  

The weeklies were mega +AO and kept roasting thru week 3.  Week 4 looks to be neutral for temps as we get into a more typical nino like pattern but still +AO.  It takes us to end of Nov so would like to see pac low setup and a -AO develop in early Dec.  

CSVE0AMW0AAd1AA.png

That would be the optimal outcome. Hopefully we start seeing (in long range models) the early December pattern flip by the middle of November.  

Well, the AO has been negative all summer, so we need about 6 months worth of positive now to balance that out.  We'll have our typical antiblocking winter and like it.

I believe there was some research done on this that stated "if the AO is negative in summer, with a similar Enso state as now, then the following winter will tend to be negative as well" I can't remember off-hand who dug up the information.... maybe GAwx.

I believe there was some research done on this that stated "if the AO is negative in summer, with a similar Enso state as now, then the following winter will tend to be negative as well" I can't remember off-hand who dug up the information.... maybe GAwx.

Well for the mod+ nino's only 1 had a summer -AO and a winter +AO (1973).  There were 2 other winters with +AO, 1992, which we toss due to Pinatubo and 1983.  1983 did have a +AO Dec/Jan but solidly negative in Feb.  So 8 out of 11 mod+ nino's had -AO on avg over DJF, but 92 had Pinatubo and 83 did have a solid AO in Feb.  So really only 73 was a complete clunker from a AO perspective and that was snowy anyways.  

Well for the mod+ nino's only 1 had a summer -AO and a winter +AO (1973).  There were 2 other winters with +AO, 1992, which we toss due to Pinatubo and 1983.  1983 did have a +AO Dec/Jan but solidly negative in Feb.  So 8 out of 11 mod+ nino's had -AO on avg over DJF, but 92 had Pinatubo and 83 did have a solid AO in Feb.  So really only 73 was a complete clunker from a AO perspective and that was snowy anyways.  

We toss 1983 due to El Chichon eruption...got to blame these +AO winters on something  :)

It was a much smaller eruption, but the particulates injected into the atmosphere were comparable to Pinatubo

Chichon.jpg

We toss 1983 due to El Chichon eruption...got to blame these +AO winters on something  :)

It was a much smaller eruption, but the particulates injected into the atmosphere were comparable to Pinatubo

LOL, let's not toss 83...I would love another 83 type winter, it's snowed here and a lot more in the mountains so you can't really beat that.  It is interesting to see a high correlation of -AO winters with mod+ nino's.  

The November torch is officially real. GEFS, ECMWF EPS are in 100% agreement long range...usually when you see anomalies this positive, it's the real deal. Control runs are a torch. 

Spread at 204hrs on the GEFS...can't get any better than that for a monster SE ridge this far out.

nm0Q4NA.png

The November torch is officially real. GEFS, ECMWF EPS are in 100% agreement long range...usually when you see anomalies this positive, it's the real deal. Control runs are a torch. 

Spread at 204hrs on the GEFS...can't get any better than that for a monster SE ridge this far out.

nm0Q4NA.png

This is a prelude to winter 2016-17. #Nina2017

Archived