joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Summer September to remember

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This warmth is impressive. Second warmest first half of September on record up here, beat only by September 1947.

Yesterday was beautiful at 80/55 but that was +10 in the means. What's telling about how warm it has been (+8 in the means) is that the normal low right now is 46F. The coldest temp this month is 47F so far at MVL.

Last year it was 34F with frost on this date.

This warmth is impressive. Second warmest first half of September on record up here, beat only by September 1947.

Yesterday was beautiful at 80/55 but that was +10 in the means. What's telling about how warm it has been (+8 in the means) is that the normal low right now is 46F. The coldest temp this month is 47F so far at MVL.

GFS still shows first frost potential in the 26/27th time frame.  Usual grain of salt warnings are magnified by the depiction of this being followed by what appear to be two tropical storms.

gfs_T2m_neus_43.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_46.png

First storm is actually moving SE to NW and plows into E CT in the next frame

Second, weaker storm then crawls up the coast.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_52.png

Had 28 last year on 9/15.  Lowest so far this year is 43.

Yeah our lowest so far is 47F.  That's pretty darn sad for a radiating mountain valley in NNE through mid-September. 

You have a good data set, what's the warmest min you've ever had through September 16th?

Prior to this year, 39 in 1999 and 2010.  Six of 18 years have had frost by then, including 4 sub-30 mornings (28 in 2001 and last year is coolest), and two others had first frost on 9/17.  Average coolest morning over 17 yr (1998-2014) is 33.5.

Edit:  Slight chance to go sub-40 early next week, but the stuff showing at day 10 looks to be much the cooler.  (Assuming it doesn't go away like a couple of such modeled cooldowns have done already.)

The overall pattern is kind of strange, Basically after this week, it's lower heights off of British Columbia. This leads to a broad zonal flow overall with higher than normal heights in SE Canada. However, heights across the SE are low.  This is why we are seeing those weird cutoffs to the south. So, benign and overall and AN temps it seems...but maybe a few cutoff lows.

The mean on the ensemble also has QPF. I don't buy dry.

Just wait another 60 days....you'll have to flip positions and post about how the models are not as snowy/wet as some think.  

I just can't wait to actually have something worth checking the models for, haha.  You know, those days when you actually look at 00z/6z/12z/18z to see what they have to say.  Now its like run a loop of a 00z or 12z model once a day and then hit the snooze button.

Just wait another 60 days....you'll have to flip positions and post about how the models are not as snowy/wet as some think.  

I just can't wait to actually have something worth checking the models for, haha.  You know, those days when you actually look at 00z/6z/12z/18z to see what they have to say.  Now its like run a loop of a 00z or 12z model once a day and then hit the snooze button.

I agree. Summer is just so freaking boring. I enjoy synoptics more than anything else really.

Especially a summer like this..Above normal with virtually no storms or precip.. Just the most mundane summer we've ever had

I keep seeing references (not just yours) to an AN summer.  Well, maybe in some places.  The local coop sites were about -1 for met summer thanks to the cool June.  Being about +6 so far this month probably puts them within +/- 0.1F of their norms for June 1 thru Sept 15.  With precip about 110% of avg for that period and no noteworthy events, this summer has ranked high on the blandest of the bland chart.

I keep seeing references (not just yours) to an AN summer.  Well, maybe in some places.  The local coop sites were about -1 for met summer thanks to the cool June.  Being about +6 so far this month probably puts them within +/- 0.1F of their norms for June 1 thru Sept 15.  With precip about 110% of avg for that period and no noteworthy events, this summer has ranked high on the blandest of the bland chart.

The state average summer departures (including first order and co-ops):

CT +0.45

RI +0.34

MA +0.20

NH -0.06

VT -0.13

ME -0.53

Archived