joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CFS is pretty awful. I wouldn't put much trust into it. Go with the Euro seasonal, or JAMSTEC or the SST CA.

SST CA makes the most sense this far out but there isn't a lot of great analogs when comparing the SST's though with how warm things are now.  97 had similar east pac but the enso regions were much different as was the atlantic.  

post-2311-0-60987900-1442350782_thumb.pn

SST CA makes the most sense this far out but there isn't a lot of great analogs when comparing the SST's though with how warm things are now.  97 had similar east pac but the enso regions were much different as was the atlantic.  

Based on the Euro weeklies and even today's EPS, those warm anomalies in the GOA are going to take a beating as we go through the next month or so.

Based on the Euro weeklies and even today's EPS, those warm anomalies in the GOA are going to take a beating as we go through the next month or so.

They will, just like last year, but hard to imagine they completely flipping or diminishing enough to not affect the winter pattern. But we will see...

I'm not really going with any modeling.  I like the idea of an El Nino during Winter for the Southeast as a whole.  More storm chances bring more chances for them to meet up with the cold air vs less storms.

Looking forward to the upcoming Winter season.  Down my way, may have to wait until Mid Jan-Late Feb though.  If I were a betting man, I'd suggest there will be quite a few Winter storm chances this year.  Some for many of us who are used to being right on the "outside" looking in.

I surely learned to not put too much into pre-season forecasts and analogs after last year.  Just the overall El Nino is good enough for me.

Here's hoping that y'all will get one like you did in February 2010.

Mosquito fest next spring...

CPG3i56UYAAX815.png

They will have to dig out from under the 5' deep snow pack first! I'm an optimist! Two weeks away from Rock-tober when the fun begins. Time to clean out the burn barrels and load up on the whiskey. I hear the arctic circle will be shifting to north carolina this winter......mosqitoes be damned!

First frost in the triad is just over 4 weeks away (avg). I think we can beat that this year. But please no more Halloween snow. That screws up everything and doesnt give the clouds enough time to heal before December!

Current northern hemisphere snow cover not looking great at this time. 

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/DATA/cursnow_alaska.gif

But it does look to pick up the next couple of weeks

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model Guidance&model=gfs&area=namer&cycle=20150917%2012%20UTC&param=1000_500_thick&fourpan=no&imageSize=M&ps=model

hit the 16 day loop

Edit: never mind I can't get the model loop to work as an input

don't let SWL see that. He may have a heart attack.

It's TWC - so take it with more than a grain of salt - BUT - they are calling for a warm Oct and Nov, which if that were to happen is usually good (i.e., a warm fall) for a winter to remember ---------- usually, anyway (we don't need no friggin' H'ween storms .... look back ....)

My 2¢ ......

It's TWC - so take it with more than a grain of salt - BUT - they are calling for a warm Oct and Nov, which if that were to happen is usually good (i.e., a warm fall) for a winter to remember ---------- usually, anyway (we don't need no friggin' H'ween storms .... look back ....)

My 2¢ ......

well darn. There goes my hopes for a white Thanksgiving. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind a snow in Oct or Nov. I will take them whenever. I really don't like the idea of a warm November. I prefer the holiday season to be on the cool side.

Archived