joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
tracking the heat

Animal

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Water temps in the immediate vicinity creeping towards 80F.

That's pretty good considering our water temperatures don't peak till late August early September, some models are hinting at some homebrew tropical action (the Atlantic basin in general is just terrible for tropical development this year) so it's something to keep an eye on and 80 degree waters are kind of considered the threshold for maintaining a hurricane (assuming all other factors are favorable of course)

Sorry for the off topic post, although I guess warmer waters can increase humidity and prevent the immediate shorelines from cooling off much.

That's pretty good considering our water temperatures don't peak till late August early September, some models are hinting at some homebrew tropical action (the Atlantic basin in general is just terrible for tropical development this year) so it's something to keep an eye on and 80 degree waters are kind of considered the threshold for maintaining a hurricane (assuming all other factors are favorable of course)

Sorry for the off topic post, although I guess warmer waters can increase humidity and prevent the immediate shorelines from cooling off much.

Just keep in mind that those upper 70s/80 degree readings are surface water temps. Like the upper 3-6 feet (I forget exactly what depth the bouys take the temp).10-15 feet down, and the water cools off pretty fast. Probably mid/low 60s. Tropical storms like deep warm water. When storms come near this area the swell out ahead of them obviously causes turbulence and upwells the colder water below. If we get a storm that passes even a few hundred miles offshore you will see surface temps drop.

All in all though, really great to see the temps rebound like this after the crazy cold winter. To be honest I think it's been the rather high nightly low temps that have allowed the oceans to warm. Pretty amazing to live in an area where ocean temps can go from low 30s to near 80 in less than 6 months.

Archived