joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
tracking the heat

Animal

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a warm tongue of water (80s) just offshore of Long Island. My guess is that the bays are just as warm at the moment as well. Wondering if this warm tongue kept places like JFK and even ISP a bit warmer and allowed them to shoot up into the 90s quicker than the usual hot spots.  Now maybe as it got so hot so quick at JFK, you will see the seabreeze kick in a bit at that's why the temp dropped. 

post-5412-0-83761400-1438186550_thumb.pn

South wind now at JFK so they are done, probably nearly steady temps then fall through out the day. Its Usually one of the hottest spots in the area down there with NW wind plus the sandy soil heats up fast, more so since its been dry. 

There is a warm tongue of water (80s) just offshore of Long Island. My guess is that the bays are just as warm at the moment as well. Wondering if this warm tongue kept places like JFK and even ISP a bit warmer and allowed them to shoot up into the 90s quicker than the usual hot spots. Now maybe as it got so hot so quick at JFK, you will see the seabreeze kick in a bit at that's why the temp dropped.

warm water.PNG

Thats a big part of it. This time of the year it gets brutal right to the beach. Hottest feeling day of the year so far in wantagh. Off to work outside in Manhattan!!! Good times!!!

Thats a big part of it. This time of the year it gets brutal right to the beach. Hottest feeling day of the year so far in wantagh. Off to work outside in Manhattan!!! Good times!!!

No wet suit weather. love it.  ..I was at my parents house in south masssapequa last night around 8. They are just a few blocks from the water and it was warmer there than at my place which is 3-4 miles further north.  I just checked and the buoy in the great south bay is 82 degrees. I bet its more like 85 the further west you go when the bay tightens up and the water really takes forever to circulate out. 

No wet suit weather. love it. ..I was at my parents house in south masssapequa last night around 8. They are just a few blocks from the water and it was warmer there than at my place which is 3-4 miles further north. I just checked and the buoy in the great south bay is 82 degrees. I bet its more like 85 the further west you go when the bay tightens up and the water really takes forever to circulate out.

The lack of surface winds reduces Mixing too so that surface water kicks. If you want to really see it in action swim out 50 yards off the beach and dive to the bottom. You will feel the temp drop big time about 6 feet down.

It's hot out but nothing like that day in 2011 when jfk was over 100 before noon

The lack of surface winds reduces Mixing too so that surface water kicks. If you want to really see it in action swim out 50 yards off the beach and dive to the bottom. You will feel the temp drop big time about 6 feet down.

It's hot out but nothing like that day in 2011 when jfk was over 100 before noon

absolutely about the lack of surface mixing. The warm layer is always very shallow around here. Someone mentioned the other day about tropical weather being able to sustain itself because the waters were nearing 80.. But our warm layer is so shallow that once any swell or just regular wave actions kicks in, the mixing will cool the water down. bigger the swell, the more cooler upwelling you get.. you know how it works. 

But for now- the beach is the best place to be if you can get there  B)

Hurricane Bob did it in 1991 as well as several others. Each year has its own caveats. I surmise the cold winters in 2013/2014/2015 offset a increasing warming trend below the surface layer. Warm cloudy winters are very ineffective at cooling the water.

Take a look at the path of bob and the ocean temp map I posted. Bob stayed just enough offshore to where it probably was helped by the edge of the Gulf Stream or a gulf eddy that broke off. Of course there are a ton of different reasons as to why tropical entities stengthen and die off. My point is that the warm layer of 80 degree water near our shore is shallow. And tropical weather needs a much deeper layer to really thrive. That's all.

There is a warm tongue of water (80s) just offshore of Long Island. My guess is that the bays are just as warm at the moment as well. Wondering if this warm tongue kept places like JFK and even ISP a bit warmer and allowed them to shoot up into the 90s quicker than the usual hot spots. Now maybe as it got so hot so quick at JFK, you will see the seabreeze kick in a bit at that's why the temp dropped.

warm water.PNG

I only read 71-73 degrees from boat inside Debs Inlet and back towards Reynolds Channel yesterday evening.

Archived