joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Obs Thread 2015

mackerel_sky

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those storms that covered all of Wake County just vanished completely. Even the outflow died before getting here.

I am glad I wasn't paying attention to the radar today.  I would have been going bonkers.  The line fell apart and then reformed past Wilson.

Little bit of mixing going on here... HI has dropped from 104 to 100 --- temp went from 90-91. Currently 91/73

Currently 91 over 81 HI 110 at pgv so not mixing here yet. My guess is two days of gully washers has our ground saturated and putting off lots of humidity.

Is there a reason why Charlotte's dewpoint is consistently 10+ degrees lower than Raleigh ?

It might explain why RDU is running noticeably cooler in air temp than CLT this month. RDU is still .2 degrees below normal this month, whereas CLT is running 2.9 degrees above normal. A dryer atmosphere might feel better, but it makes higher air temperatures possible.  However, I wonder if something is off with CLT's readings because GSP and GSO are not running anywhere near as warm as CLT this summer.  In past summers, RDU used to outdo the rest of central NC in temps, but this summer CLT has taken the crown.

It might explain why RDU is running noticeably cooler in air temp than CLT this month. RDU is still .2 degrees below normal this month, whereas CLT is running 2.9 degrees above normal. A dryer atmosphere might feel better, but it makes higher air temperatures possible. However, I wonder if something is off with CLT's readings because GSP and GSO are not running anywhere near as warm as CLT this summer. In past summers, RDU used to outdo the rest of central NC in temps, but this summer CLT has taken the crown.

but wouldn't drier air also make it cooler at night which would pretty much balance the temps ?

but wouldn't drier air also make it cooler at night which would pretty much balance the temps ?

Good point. I forgot about nighttime temps. I guess I have no idea why CLT has been noticeably hotter and drier than RDU and the Triangle beyond the placement of the ridge, and normal factors such as latitude and altitude. 

It might explain why RDU is running noticeably cooler in air temp than CLT this month. RDU is still .2 degrees below normal this month, whereas CLT is running 2.9 degrees above normal. A dryer atmosphere might feel better, but it makes higher air temperatures possible.  However, I wonder if something is off with CLT's readings because GSP and GSO are not running anywhere near as warm as CLT this summer.  In past summers, RDU used to outdo the rest of central NC in temps, but this summer CLT has taken the crown.

I think the readings are good as both Monroe to the east and Gastonia to the west have had very similar readings. I am only 5 miles from the airport and my readings have closely matched them as well.

Charlotte is just east of where the heart of the drought has been in the region. Very dry ground around and just west of CLT combined with max mixing from downslope would explain why Charlotte has been so much warmer than Raleigh and why afternoon dew points have fallen so much during the afternoon.

During the first heatwave in June Charlotte had lows in the upper 60's even as afternoon highs hit 100 so thats over a 30 degree difference and is more than we usually see in summer.  When you combine much above normal highs with near normal lows around 3 degrees above normal is reasonable. 

Also Charlotte is one of the few cities where normal temperatures fell for the 1981-2010 period versus 1971-2000. Some say that this was due to the moving of the weather station to another side of the airport due to runway expansion in the 1990's. This could have something to do with it as well.

Only made it to 95 actual temp today. We have yet to reach the forecast temperature when they call for upper 90s during any of these heat waves. The heat index sure makes up for the difference, though. It's often been above the 100-105 that has been in the forecast on these steamy days.

Archived