Newest Member
    joxey
July Obs Thread 2015

mackerel_sky

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fires in Cary and Garner possibly sparked by lightning

RALEIGH, NC (WNCN) — Heavy storms with lightning are suspected in two structure fires in the Triangle on Tuesday evening.

The incidents happened in Raleigh/Garner and Cary just before 8 p.m. while a severe thunderstorm was in effect for Wake County.

Fire crews are looking into whether lightning sparked a fire in Cary — that damaged part of a home on Livingstone Drive, about a block from Fire Station 1 in Cary.

Crews say the fire started in the garage — and damaged it and the room above.

The couple inside the home was not hurt.

Also, lightning is a possible cause in a garage fire on the Raleigh-Garner line along Cedar Rail Road, which is off Rock Quarry Road.

We had one heck of a storm last night. Our first real thunderstorm this year. Heavy rain, lots of lightning with some close strikes. Ended up with .59" which bought us up to 2.51" for the month. Too bad I was already in bed for that one. Probably had some impressive cloud structure with it.

Seems the storms are riding an axis just south of me and i'm missing the heavy stuff while 20 miles down the the road they are getting drenched.

I've had numerous good storms over the last week so its no biggie to miss the heaviest stuff and i am seeing a solid light to sometimes moderate rain here.

Archived