• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Obs Thread 2015

mackerel_sky

93F and HI was 113 according to the WU display my spouse left up on his computer ... I was doing some outside work and while it was unpleasant, it wasn't *horribly* so.  It didn't trigger my "my GODS people VOLUNTARILY live here?" reaction even when I noticed it'd bumped to 95F.

But still not nice.  Chugging so much water I could float away ... or at least have an excuse for frequent potty breaks aka Get Back Inside With The A/C :)

For the ten minutes up until this very sentence, thunder rumbles have been nearly constant as a cell moved towards us ... it's now almost shut up completely even though the cell's leading edge is only a couple of miles away.  Looks to be weakening, too.

I will not complain (too loudly) if all we get is some wind and rain.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSP tonight...

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...AS OF 740 PM EDT...PRECIPITATION CHANCES HAVE BEEN BRIEFLY BOOSTED OVER THE MTNS AND IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT FOOTHILLS...BUT THE LATEST CONVECTION ALLOWING MODELS HAVE THIS ACTIVITY STEADILY DISSIPATING EAST OF THE MTNS THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS. SBCAPE VALUES OF 1000 TO 2000 J/KG PERSIST...AND BETTER DCAPE OVER THE SE HALF WILL MAINTAIN AN ISOLD SEVERE THREAT FOR ANY CELLS THAT MANAGE TO HOLD TOGETHER EAST OF THE MTNS. ANTICIPATE THE MTN ACTIVITY TO TRANSFORM IN A BRIEF STRATIFORM RAIN SHIELD BEFORE ENDING TOWARD MIDNIGHT. EXPECT MAINLY DEBRIS CLOUDS OVERNIGHT WITH PATCHY FOG IN AREAS THAT RECEIVED HEAVY RAINFALL. MIN TEMPS WILL REMAIN MILD WITH MID TO UPPER 60S MTNS AND LOW TO MID 70S PIEDMONT.TUESDAY COULD BE A BIT MORE INTERESTING AS UPPER HEIGHTS FALL WITH A SHORT WAVE DROPPING ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES/UPPER OH VALLEY/NE. HOWEVER...THE MODELS SUGGEST THIS MAY HAPPEN EARLIER IN THE DAY...PERHAPS BEFORE WE GET ANY SUBSTANTIAL HEATING. THAT TIMING WOULD CARRY THE BEST MID/UPPER SUPPORT TO THE EAST IN THE 15Z TO 18Z TIME FRAME...BUT A BOUNDARY WOULD BE LEFT TO LAY OUT ACROSS THE FCST AREA THRU THE AFTERNOON. THE GFS ONLY DEVELOPS NEW CONVECTIVE PRECIP OVER THE MTNS...WHICH SEEMS UNDERDONE WITH A BOUNDARY IN THE VICINITY. THE NAM LOOKS BETTER AND IS FAVORED...SO THE FCST CONTINUES TO FEATURE A CHANCE ACROSS THE WHOLE FCST AREA...ALBEIT HIGHEST TOWARD THE TN BORDER. CANNOT RULE OUT A FEW SEVERE STORMS AGAIN...BUT ONCE AGAIN...THE BETTER CHANCE WILL BE TO THE NORTH WHERE THE BETTER FORCING WILL BE. HIGH TEMPS WILL BE A DEGREE OR TWO LESS...WHICH SHOULD KEEP THE HEAT INDEX BELOW ADVISORY CRITERIA.

Severe t storm warning for Greenville. Going to be close with no sun.

Large swath for the warning.  I'm just a couple miles outside the warning box, but it is still a good 30-40 miles from me.

Looks to be falling apart now as soon as it was warned.  2 outflow boundaries racing towards Spartanburg.  One from the north, one from the west.

.AVIATION /00Z TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

AS OF 810 PM MONDAY...

A CLUSTER OF STORMS MOVING ACROSS THE APPALACHIANS AND INTO THE

WESTERN PIEDMONT WILL THREATEN KGSO AND KINT THROUGH 03Z...IN WHICH

TIME A BRIEF DOWNPOUR AND 20-30KT WIND GUSTS WILL BE POSSIBLE. WITH

TIME..INSTABILITY WILL WANE AND THE STORMS WILL WEAKEN...SO IT IS

UNCERTAIN AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THE STORMS WILL MAKE IT AS FAR EAST

AS KRDU OR KRWI/KFAY. OUTSIDE OF THESE STORMS...VFR CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED OVERNIGHT...WITH JUST SOME ISOLATED AREAS OF MVFR VSBYS

THAT HAVE A LOW PROBABILITY OF OCCURRING AT INDIVIDUAL TAF SITES.

74.7 with a DP of 70. That is the beginning of a sticky day. 

Try 82 with a 79 DP the heat index was 91 at 8:15 in the morning here....hope the cap breaks early, with that "front" moving in it could be a interesting day....maybe more organized with the severe than the SPC has us down for.

RAH doesn't sound as confident with their mid-morning update.

SCATTERED STORMS ARE EXPECTED AHEAD OF THE FRONT...HOWEVER FORCING IS NOT PARTICULARLY STRONG AND LOOKS TO BE LIMITED/CONFINED TO  LOWER-LEVEL FRONTAL CONVERGENCE AS CENTRAL NC REMAINS WELL REMOVED FROM THE TROUGH DYNAMICS TO THE NORTH. LOW-LEVEL WESTERLY FLOW MAY PLAY A ROLE IN LIMITING COVERAGE AS WELL. WILL LEAVE POPS IN THE 30-40 PERCENT RANGE. AN ISOLATED STORM OR TWO COULD BECOME SEVERE...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE NORTHERN TIER IN CLOSER PROXIMITY WHERE BETTER INSTABILITY AND STRONGER SHEAR ARE FORECAST TO RESIDEACROSS CENTRAL VIRGINIA.  

91.4°/73° HI of 100°.  40% pops today, although models aren't showing anything that impressive or organized around the upstate.  It seems like the flow we've seen the last 2 days isn't nearly as conducive as the flow from a few days ago.  Although, we did have some good timing with those shortwaves a few days ago.  This one is moving through too early.

sbcape: 2500

mucape: 2000-3000

dcape: 800-900

lift: -6

pwats: 1.9

Parameters look pretty good if we can get something to fire.

95°/72° HI of 103°.  Lift has increased some this afternoon and PWATS are up to 2.  There's a few storms around the upstate this afternoon, but none really near mby.  One cell was heading in my general direction, but has since dissipated.  Storms south of Asheville look like they won't drop south quickly enough to impact mby.  Although, they look like they are dropping more south than other storms on radar, there is too much west to east flow for them to make it here I think.

Edit:  Storm now severe and has made its way to the border.  Likely going to be too far south for impact unless it builds further west.

SVR developing right overhead and most of the county is inside the polygon.  The clouds moving into the updraft really do look like they're heading up into a vacuum cleaner tube.  No real rotation.

The initial outflow blast was impressive.  I was running errands and it looked like someone just lost a load of twigs, leaves, petals, and other small vegetative bits all over the road.

Waiting to see if if any of it actually lands on the ground here, or if it goes and pounds someone else.

Some strengthening taking place on the western edge of the severe storm. Extrapolating out the warning box I would be on the western edge if it continues on its currently trajectory.  I think this could end up being one of those frustrating storms that misses me by just a couple miles.  Hope it doesn't screw up my chances for something later on.

*Grump*  Not a drop.  The churning morass of dark clouds just fell apart.  At least we got some nice cool relief out of it.  And I have some photos of the coolest cloud structure.

Just 1 mile away the wind damage is fairly noticeable, and 5 miles (by air) one of my errand stops was deluged moments after I headed home.

Yesterday was somewhat similar:  a rumbling mass of thunder headed our way (not SVR), that died a couple of miles away - didn't get a drop then, either.

Well, things may work out after all.  A piece of convection detached from the larger cluster moving southeast.  Now a cell has popped up about a mile to my nw along with another cluster forming in nw Spartanburg County.  Suspect that one may have a warning attached to it soon.

Edit:  Warning just issued for NW Spartanburg County.

That cell nearest mby managed to skip over me giving me only a trace.  I'm pinning my hopes on those cells in NW Spartanburg and NE Greenville.  It's cooled down to 81.4° now.  Hope that outflow boundary coming through hasn't screwed up my chances.

This thing is taking its sweet old time getting here.  Another cell popped up less than a mile south of me.  I get the feeling this storm is going to dance all around me and all I end up getting is traced.  Hope this isn't the start of another storm drought.

Edit: Alright, finally some movement southward.  Just hope it isn't too much.  If we manage to miss all this, I'm not going to be happy.

Archived