• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 25-27 severe and heavy rain

Ian

I was actually thinking the entire 500mb progression was slower than ideal for severe. Speed up the timing a good 6hrs and we'd be solidly in the warm sector by 2-3pm w/ the frontal forcing arriving by 4pm instead of 10pm.

Yeah that could be too-- def a better position by 6-9z or so. Though I think as is today would have been OK with some time to build up CAPE. We knew it would be a struggle by the end...it sort of played out as expected but initially it looked like the first line would try to hold off a little later. But with no cap and high moisture content maybe not. This area is tough to fully figure out.. plenty of messy setups "go big".. this one kind of underperformed overall on svr not just on tor risk. 

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think they pulled the flood warnings too fast? I would have been careful about prematurely pulling them after what we saw with the earlier burst of rain

They never gave us a flash flood watch or warning IMBY, which boggles my mind, but whatever. I hope I'm done with rain for the night but I'm probably not...

Yeah that could be too-- def a better position by 6-9z or so. Though I think as is today would have been OK with some time to build up CAPE. We knew it would be a struggle by the end...it sort of played out as expected but initially it looked like the first line would try to hold off a little later. But with no cap and high moisture content maybe not. This area is tough to fully figure out.. plenty of messy setups "go big".. this one kind of underperformed overall on svr not just on tor risk. 

Was there any model actually showing substantial CAPE building past DC at all? IIRC things went as modeled. There seemed to be a lot of faith in the ability of the warm front progression to defy models.

Was there any model actually showing substantial CAPE building past DC at all? IIRC things went as modeled. There seemed to be a lot of faith in the ability of the warm front progression to defy models.

Other then some of the later NAM runs, I thought models were atleast bringing the front further north/faster and allowing atleast a decent amount of instability in and around DC.

Don't think many around here were expecting it to get much past DC. Plenty of runs built it up into western burbs tho too. With the heavy rainers blossoming late morning that idea seemed pretty much shot though. Overall I think everything was still a touch south of modeling. Warm fonts very often progress north slower than expected. Shear was pretty good thought we would keep storm spacing longer in the better air.

Archived