• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter of 2015-16 Prediction Discussion

dmillz25

interesting newspaper article from the Brooklyn Eagle in 1902 after the big blizzard on Feb. 17th 1902...it looks like Long Island got the brunt of this storm...it must of been a wild storm east of the city...

http://fultonhistory...cale - 1149.pdf

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%207/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle%201902%20Grayscale/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle%201902%20Grayscale%20-%201150.pdf

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the 5400m THK line spends an inordinate amount of its time in the next 7 weeks over Hudson Bay.   The analog does show a snowstorm on Thanksgiving Day, however.   LOL   I realize how flimsy this analysis is, but I would feel better if that THK was showing up more often to our south over the next 50 days.

May you enjoy many years of warmth and peace.

My zip 112 retirement co-op window faces the Verrazano Bridge. The primary home faces (view from the top floor and roof) the Freedom Tower.(considering extremes and cut offs, I may still be considered a snowbird)

I'll spend some time, December through March, tracking the Rain/Snow line.

There are some who are rather crass....but Rclab has always epitomized class...a gentleman of refinement and distinction...

Nice to see you again!

• 3 weeks later...

"Not as brutal" for Boston, could be an 80 inch winter and -2 departure.  I think they would sign up for that "not as brutal."

I'd take 40 and a -2.  That's much less brutal for Central Park. 

Also, maybe that orange part of the map ought to include the whole CONUS.  If it's going to be a garbage forecast, it might as well be right. 

That forecast makes the farmer's almanac one look like the schematic for an iPhone 6

Euro seasonal update  J-M .  Has not changed . There is still a deep NEG S of the Aleutians with a big POS centered just WEST of Hudson Bay , with a trough extending through the S with the NEG focused from TEX into the SE .

Can`t post , but it looks good .

are you sure?

https://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/652133883576619008

Anthony Masiello ‏@antmasiello 46m46 minutes ago

The new ECMWF forecast is basically a Nov to Jan blowtorch type pattern for northern US and Europe. Feb is typical but nothing special

are you sure?

The new ECMWF forecast is basically a Nov to Jan blowtorch type pattern for northern US and Europe. Feb is typical but nothing special

Also, HM said it's showing a very positive WPO and NAO

Less spewing tweets, and more critical thinking.

Sorry, I do not see a PAC fire hose on the euro depiction.

I disagree with him....just like I disagreed with WSI about a straight up modoki.

He is also reading the verbatim 2m temps off of a model several months out.

Ill advised endeavor several days out.

are you sure?

Jan - looks good , Feb looks great  , March looks good.  

Nov - Dec are warm but we have been saying this from  months ago  ,

but we focused on J- M as per the orig post .

Pull up the 500  from J- M and lets Disco 

Less spewing tweets, and more critical thinking.

Sorry, I do not see a PAC fire hose on the euro depiction.

I disagree with him....just like I disagreed with WSI about a straight up modoki.

He is also reading the verbatim 2m temps off of a model several months out.

Ill advised endeavor several days out.

First of all, are we all in agreement that GOA low position is paramount??

Good.

I am at work, but someone pull up a D-M composite of 2003/2010, and 1983/1997 composite.

Now observe the placement of the GOA low on the very recently updated EURO seasonal.

You be the judge regarding which of the two historic composites is the better (not exact) analog in that regard.

HM....great meteorologist having a terrible day.

Jan prob has a positive WPO too...though the EPO is starting to go more neutral.

I don't think it is inaccurate to say that the Nov-Jan composite is a torch. But Jan itself is probably only marginally warm on that depiction. The really crappy setup is early on...December looks bad.

I do think February looks very good. March as well.

40/70 shows the entire evolution up in NE , but  again this is as similar a mean that I could find for J-M

If you could find me what drives a torch here I am willing to listen .

You don`t torch in this pattern Jan - March

NMME_ensemble_z200_lead3.png

40/70 shows the entire evolution up in NE , but  again this is as similar a mean that I could find for J-M

If you could find me what drives a torch here I am willing to listen .

You don`t torch in this pattern . You just don`t .

I didn't see anyone say that J-M composite looked bad. Only that N-J did...which is true.

Many a past El Nino had bad N-J composites but looked very good J-M...so it's not really a surprise.

I didn't see anyone say that J-M composite looked bad. Only that N-J did...which is true.

Many a past El Nino had bad N-J composites but looked very good J-M...so it's not really a surprise.

I posted that J-M looked good , Forky responded with HMs tweet, who basically says Jan is a torch and Feb is nothing special 

I disagree with the analysis  for both Jan and Feb .

You can not walk away from a 500mb mean with a deep Neg S of the Aleutians with a huge POS on the west shores of HB and a S storm track and come away with anything less than , that`s a pretty good pattern and a really good 500mb look . 

I never liked Dec . 

I actually missed the N-J part.

I'm an idiot.

I was thinking that having HM seem that outlandish did not add up.

I still disagree with him regarding how he characterized, and it doesn't seem as though you agree, either. 

Isn't the super Nino almost a guarantee that we will have a raging southern jet?

That should send in steady streams of mild pacific weather along with storminess. I would think the biggest story here will be rain, probably flooding rains. 

NO

Instead of just saying no, explain why not?

Please read the last 20 pages in the ENSO thread , we have all been in there and we kinda opined ad nauseam about this.

So much stuff , It would be hard to go back to square one.

Nothing is impossible/ there are no locks , but it doesn`t look like that`s the case .

Archived