joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Modicum Mauler

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. The fact that we have less than 20" more than you in southern CT screams "this winter sucked".

We nickled and dimed to this about average season. 10" of that came before Thanksgiving and outside of a couple warning-level events (one which was good) we've watched areas nearby achieve significant departures from normal.

We will have had a longer duration of snowcover than everyone else. Whoop-a-dee-doo.

23.0/22

my sentiments exactly....and then there were all those events where we just watched under variable clouds and frigid temps with nary a flake

Fairly high impact her from yesterday's snow:

GREENFIELD — A first-day-of-spring snowstorm contributed to a slew of accidents that slowed traffic to a standstill on Interstate 91, and town roads weren’t much better.

The snow may not have been deep, but it was slick, and started to fall just as people were headed home from work.

Several crashes happened almost simultaneously on Interstate 91, one of them involving a tractor-trailer and other vehicles.

State police from the Shelburne barracks said none of the I-91 accidents in Franklin County resulted in serious injuries, though several people were sent to the hospital for evaluations.

“There were quite a few vehicles totaled in the crashes,” said trooper Matthew Biron. “We’re still trying to tally everything up.”

The Interstate was closed from Bernardston to Greenfield from 4:30 until about 6:30 p.m. as emergency responders tended to accidents that stretched for about a mile.

Another half-dozen crashes occurred on Interstate 91 between Northampton and Holyoke, according to a report by MassLive. The site said traffic in both directions was at a standstill from Bernardston to Holyoke in the early evening.

While I-91 was the site of several accidents, there was a long list of car crashes on other roads across the county.

Greenfield Police responded to 11 accidents from 4 to 7 p.m. They ranged from simple spin-outs to a head-on collision and a car that struck a utility pole.

Those on their way between Greenfield and Montague had to go the long way, as both Mountain Road and Turners Falls Road were closed temporarily. Mountain Road was the site of a head-on crash, while Turners Falls Road was deemed unsafe and closed until it could be treated.

Police even had trouble getting around on the slick roads. One Greenfield officer was heard over the radio twice saying that he was stuck on Mountain Road.

Greenfield Fire Capt. Andrew Garvin said the roads iced up from a rapid drop in temperature.

“It went from 36 to 29 degrees in the snap of a finger,” Garvin said. “It just turned from slush right to ice.”

Montague police said the town had several accidents, but none of them involved major injuries or property damage.

Car crashes were also reported in Bernardston, Colrain, Conway, Orange, Shelburne, Warwick and Wendell, with some towns reporting several crashes. Towns outside of Franklin County were also dealing with car crashes and bad road conditions.

Route 202 was closed near the Shutesbury-Pelham line for about 90 minutes after several cars went off the road, according to state police from the Belchertown barracks. The road was reopened after being sanded.

I think that there were several factors which led to the issues on 91 yesterday.

First, Friday evenings on 91 are much busier than just about any other time (along with Sunday evening) during ski season. Meaning, it wasn't just "berkshire" drivers.

Is been white a while since the roads have had to be treated up here, there wasn't much residual salt on the road at the start of the event.

The roads were not pre-treated.

The temps of the roadway crashed as soon as it started. I was very surprised that it started sticking immediately. Honestly think that the roadway was right around 32 and when it started sticking, it froze.

I notice that there was no activity at the state garage thought of the highway in bernardston at the start of the event. They were caught, for whatever reason, with their pants down.

Dimartino to the rescue

@nynjpaweather: @jimcantore Found the cause. Take a look at 850 MB pressure, looks like a Norlun trough setup trying to develop.

That term tossed around way too much. Inverted troughs are not all NORLUNs.

I don't see the requisite instability necessary to qualify.

Archived