joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, well the winds a couple weeks ago didn't rip a shutter off the siding of my house, which was skrewed to the wall btw -

Actually, the wind had been gusting like turbines anyway, but after a moment of relative calm, there was some kind of sudden weird microburst where it was just suddenly swirling around the house and house seemed to heave or strain a little.  The walls creaked and for I moment I thought it might actually be worse...

So now in the aftermath one of my shutters is out there lying like a corpse in the yard.  schit!  

Amazing temperature distribution from northwest to southeast cross SNE as we approach mid afternoon.  Really hearkens to a couple of super-imposing factors.

1) we have a classic katabatic wind direction, being down-slope ..vectors ideally so for that. So compressional heating -

2) intense April insolation only blocked by very brief CAA CU is providing very proficient llv heating that is serving to destablize and very well mix the BL.  

As these two work together, it's taking a 32 F like air mass over eastern NY and central VT, certainly in the elevations, and driving the temperature to 55 to nearly 60 F over eastern RI and far SE Mass.   Amazing!  

It's actually 48 F even here in Ayer along Rt poop.   

Thursday was the only real nice day. That was a beaut. Yesterday was damp and today you risked getting impaled by branches as the temp fell during the aftn. What an awesome time of year.

Yesterday was the spring day of the year with widespread 60s below 1500ft in NNE.

But yeah this time of year is awesome...never know what you're gonna get.

Yesterday afternoon I was getting a goggle tan with temps near 50F up on the summit deck. This afternoon it was low teens with wind chills below zero, and 7" of new snow. Talk about a 24-hour reversal.

Archived