joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Furey had mostly sunny for today's forecast as at 8:40 a.m.FTL. today had instability written all over it.

If you strictly looked at grid data/MOS, there was a bias toward mostly sunny today. The higher resolution models showed some cloud cover. I opted to go partly cloudy, but even that varied a bit with plenty of BKN obs coming in for a good chunk of the day.

Is UMass Lowell a good met school? Im really considering it. Its between UAlbany and Lowell.

It's a smaller program, but a good core of professors. I think lately they are becoming a bit more rounded in environmental science, but Dom might have more info on that. 

Also, I'd say that 95% of good mets are more a product of their passion and not necessarily how many degrees they have or where they went to school. I know mets who can't forecast their way out of a paper bag from more prestigious schools, and ones that are great from lesser known schools and vice-versa.  It really comes down to the weenie in you and lots of times observing, experience, and just having a  knack for forecasting.

Also, I'd say that 95% of good mets are more a product of their passion and not necessarily how many degrees they have or where they went to school. I know mets who can't forecast their way out of a paper bag from more prestigious schools, and ones that are great from lesser known schools and vice-versa.  It really comes down to the weenie in you and lots of times observing, experience, and just having a  knack for forecasting.

What about non degreed folks who are  passionate and really good?

Also, I'd say that 95% of good mets are more a product of their passion and not necessarily how many degrees they have or where they went to school. I know mets who can't forecast their way out of a paper bag from more prestigious schools, and ones that are great from lesser known schools and vice-versa. It really comes down to the weenie in you and lots of times observing, experience, and just having a knack for forecasting.

Oh yeah of course. Im very passionate about weather. But I've also seen non met students who are awesome with forcasting

Oh yeah of course. Im very passionate about weather. But I've also seen non met students who are awesome with forcasting

Yep, we are fortunate to have a well rounded group of hobbyists here who can forecasts better than some mets.  One or two may hype, but we tend to brush those aside.

Yep, we are fortunate to have a well rounded group of hobbyists here who can forecasts better than some mets. One or two may hype, but we tend to brush those aside.

Oh yeah that's why I'm always going back and forth between here and the NYC forum. You and the others always have good insight and I try to take that in and learn.

Archived