joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Spring/Summer Banter & complaint thread

dmc76

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree with that. Specifically for the LOT area - for a severe lover - how can you not give the warm season an A in which the area saw its first f4+ tornado in decades, and more than two dozen other tornadoes, many from separate, distinct systems, sprinkled throughout spring and summer.

Sent from my iPhone

Living not too far from Cyclone above there, I'd give our area an A as well. Its been nice having near constant severe weather setups to chase and watch. Not to mention having the opportunity to chase 3 different supercells within 30 miles of my house (2 of which produced sig tors). I'd say likely our best summer since 2010 honestly. Also had quite a bit of rain in June through about Mid-July before hitting a dry streak for a few weeks, which also has featured some rather benign weather. Hoping for an active fall as well, but I won't hold my breath :D

Map showing the number of tornado watches this year.  5-7 tornado watches across northern IL.  Pretty impressive.

2015_torww_to_date.png

Didn't know until today that Harry Volkman died last week. I remember him coming to speak at my elementary school many years ago. Just so happened that there was a threat of severe storms that day!

Here's a nice writeup about him:

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/08/20/harry-volkman-1926-2015/

Didn't know until today that Harry Volkman died last week. I remember him coming to speak at my elementary school many years ago. Just so happened that there was a threat of severe storms that day!

Here's a nice writeup about him:

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/08/20/harry-volkman-1926-2015/

I am saddened to hear this.  He was the first tv met I watched while I was initially in elementary school.  Walked home for lunch and caught his noon weather forecast.  In later years while I was in college he spoke at my home United Methodist Church in Hobart.  My mother got to meet and hear him.  I was away at college at the time.  I wrote him a letter to which I received a gracious reply.  I recalled the old days when he would use polarized light in his weather forecasts and mentioned I heard him say he saw a tornado while sitting at the now defunct Nu-Joy restaurant on U.S. 41 in Kentland IN and ran to the window to see it.Truly a top notch met and a fine person.

• 3 weeks later...

Amen to that. Also the spiders have been horrendous thus far. Walking to my car in the morning and walking into webs sucks lol.

I always tell people if they see me freak out out of no where from a distance, it is because I walked into a spider web. Conversely if I am running and nothing is chasing me, it is probably because I am running from some sort of stinging flying insect.

I always tell people if they see me freak out out of no where from a distance, it is because I walked into a spider web. Conversely if I am running and nothing is chasing me, it is probably because I am running from some sort of stinging flying insect.

Lol. Walking into a spider web gives me my aerobic workout for the day.  And yes, the wasps are really bad this year.

post-830-0-73782300-1443228078_thumb.gif

Hi, all. Now that the temps are "slowly" falling, I'll be checking the board more often. Just thought I'd add to the discussion...got 16 yellow jacket stings on my body a couple of weeks ago while landscaping for somebody. Put me down for a couple days and almost went to the ER. I was one of those people flailing about and cursing. I was the suggested calm individual until one went in my ear and was stinging and got trapped in there.

This just in: Michael Masters, Executive Director of Cook County Emergency Management announced that a new public storm shelter will be open in the South Loop area during Tornado Warnings. The shelter is located in Soldier Field. Said Director Masters, "There is no chance of a touchdown there."

This just in: Michael Masters, Executive Director of Cook County Emergency Management announced that a new public storm shelter will be open in the South Loop area during Tornado Warnings. The shelter is located in Soldier Field. Said Director Masters, "There is no chance of a touchdown there."

Clearly a guy with an understanding of meteorology...

I'd hate to be a forecaster along the east coast right now.  You have most guidance showing Joaquin making landfall while the op ECMWF has had multiple runs of going out to sea.  Even the ECMWF ensembles don't really back the op run to a large extent.   Fortunately it's not like 2 days out...there's still time.

Archived