joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“All right all right don’t rush me, I’m-a-thinkin’ … and my head hurts”

drink up varmint !!!

Two things to remember with this storm:

Very strong STJ and Gulf moisture feed will be in play.

Dewpoints and Wetbulbs are forecast to be low in soundings

so heavier precip getting in here will dynamically cool the

column for a possible heavy wet late season snow

should the low ride far enough north. Too soon to

call the northern extent of heavier QPF until we get

to under 72 hrs.

Very strong STJ streak exit region for low to deepen and plenty of Gulf moisture.

Every attempt at a -AO and -NAO this winter has failed miserably and gone down in flames. Just brief, transient dips to negative, then right back up to solid positive values

That's all we have needed as there has been accumulating snow around or after every dip into negative territory since early December. Our most productive period of accumulation was ushered in by the late January drop.

A little -AO goes a very long way with an historic +PDO/-EPO/+PNA regime.

That's all we have needed as there has been accumulating snow around or after every dip into negative territory since early December. Our most productive period of accumulation was ushered in by the late January drop.

A little -AO goes a very long way with an historic +PDO/-EPO/+PNA regime.

Imagine that regime with Greenland blocking/west based -NAO? Lol it would probably have rivaled '95-'96

Imagine that regime with Greenland blocking/west based -NAO? Lol it would probably have rivaled '95-'96

This winter will go down in the record books as the greatest snow production on such a strong +AO since 1950

due to the historic Pacific pattern. NYC is currently in the 40-50" range for seasonal snowfall coming off a positive

AO DJF. Check out how much lower the AO was in the other 40-50" seasons in NYC since 1950.

DJF...14-15....AO...+0.85

.........05-06............-0.81

.........04-05............+0.15

.........03-04............-0.98

.........02-03............-0.64

.........77-78............-1.20

.........63-64............-0.46

.........57-58............-0.95

I'm taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" road.

The trend all season has been drier and weaker and I see no reason why any of that would change now.

Too many times we've been fooled into thinking that the pattern would make a major flip into a blocking regime and all Winter it's ended up either being transient or hasn't happened.

Forgive me for being a debbie downer, but it's hard to ignore seasonal trends, especially when climo is becoming increasingly unfavorable each day that passes.

:whistle:

This pattern was modeled to be a great one for a big storm but they have trended away with it. What a shame.

The ensembles were already showing a quick rebound to a +AO a week ago when everyone was drooling over the upcoming pattern. 

It should be noted that with shortening wavelengths, an AO+/PNA- pattern (not yet modeled, but a few ensemble members suggest at least a possibility for the PNA), has seen some of the area's biggest late-season snowstorms. The two most prominent storms are the April 6-7, 1982 blizzard and March 31-April 1, 1997 snowstorm. The 3/20-24 period still has a pretty good 500 mb pattern for the northern Mid-Atlantic and perhaps southern New England areas on the GFS and ECMWF ensembles. Whether or not a storm develops remains to be seen and the seasonal transition that is currently underway often leads to lower than average run-to-run continuity in the models, especially from day 5 and afterward.

This winter will go down in the record books as the greatest snow production on such a strong +AO since 1950

due to the historic Pacific pattern. NYC is currently in the 40-50" range for seasonal snowfall coming off a positive

AO DJF. Check out how much lower the AO was in the other 40-50" seasons in NYC since 1950.

DJF...14-15....AO...+0.85

.........05-06............-0.81

.........04-05............+0.15

.........03-04............-0.98

.........02-03............-0.64

.........77-78............-1.20

.........57-58............-0.95

Even more remarkable is the percentage of snowfall that has occurred on days when the AO was positive.

For 2004-05:

AO-: 35.7" (87.1%)

AO+: 5.3" (12.9%)

For 2014-15:

AO-: 3.6" (8.5%)

AO+: 38.9" (91.5%)

Archived