Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Obs for the Cweat Cape Cod Cruiser anafrontal event 3-5-15

Ginx snewx

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right. maybe non-event for those within 20-30 miles of the pike.

I thought the 'waving flags in both hands on the runway' crowd pretty much nailed it around Boston and surrounding areas, with regards to the dry air.

That was always a problem area. But stuff actually looked really nice down your way. The models had nice 700-500 frontogenesis there and when that happens, QPF is my last worry. Yesterday we had to write a TAF for ACK and was kind of funny writing a snowy forecast vs BOS.

Fiancé at home in Westerly saying it's snowing like crazy. She's guessing around 7-8" but she might be a little high so prob more like 6-7" but it won't let up there. Might finish around 8" or so... Couple that with the 7 inches a few days ago and our depth is back over 20" once again. Pretty incredible for SW Rhode Island 3 miles from the ocean in MARCH!

right. maybe non-event for those within 20-30 miles of the pike.

I thought the 'waving flags in both hands on the runway' crowd pretty much nailed it around Boston and surrounding areas, with regards to the dry air.

Alot more than 20-30 miles of the pike.  I'm about 60-70 miles from the pike, and we were in the 3-6 inch area, and I picked up a half inch here.  GFS, Euro and RGEM all busted right at go time for this for most of CT.  So it was very hit and miss for sure.  But that half inch brought me to 72 inches on the year.

These setups aren't easy for the models. NW winds at 850 are a sign that virga and dry air will be an issue. You need very strong frontogenesis aloft to offset that. We are seeing that, but the whole thing is being squashed SE too. Usually when you the sharp cutoff...figure shifting that south by 20 or more miles.

Models generally suck with the sharp NW edge anyway. Almost always have too gradual a transition from something to nothing, when it is usually more binary haves and have nots.

Fiancé at home in Westerly saying it's snowing like crazy. She's guessing around 7-8" but she might be a little high so prob more like 6-7" but it won't let up there. Might finish around 8" or so... Couple that with the 7 inches a few days ago and our depth is back over 20" once again. Pretty incredible for SW Rhode Island 3 miles from the ocean in MARCH!

Just passed through westerly and can confirm that, SN/SN+ continues as we approach New London.

reason number one to not meltdown, reason number two to not leave, THE SUMMERS ARE KILLAH.The climo down there over all is not great in the winter but when it hits its pretty sweet.

Archived