joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS: Rain->snow Wednesday night-Thursday, March 4-5 2015

famartin

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back under a heavier band.  Snow is powdery fine but coming down at a good rate.

post-1915-0-01221600-1425589741_thumb.gi

SN & fog (vis down to about 1/2 mile)

Temp down to 20.3F

Winds NW, light

I know we have to be approaching 7".  Do see that back edge on the radar though....

Edit to add that all the streets around here that were plowed multiple times over the past couple hours are back to completely snow covered. I figured they gave up.  All of the bus routes that run around here have now been suspended along with the regional rail (supposedly due to Amtrak power problems).

I'm at 6.25 just a couple miles south on 29 ..... but mine is compacted since this morning, and there is the elevation there, so totally believable.... and snowing nicely again  :-)

My 7.5"-9" has been compacted/rain tainted (puddles from last night), but I do agree the 9.6" looks quite reasonable.  I used to go to school/work down past you driving from basically this same location from the age of 6 until 24, and I can tell you this has happened many times, sometimes even more so.  (1988......16" here and 8" at school in Red Hill was one of the larger ones...basically got home to 8" while it had just started sticking down there)  But anywhere from an extra 1"-4" is common in these changeover type of events compared to the valleys.  I'm just putting 9.5" for my records today......which brings me to an even 55" season to date. 

Allentown's 6.4" snowfall set a new daily snowfall record for March 5. The old record was 6.1" from 1981.

Thanks Don...nice stat.  I remember that storm very well from my childhood.  I was living in Churchville (Bucks County, PA) at the time and we received 8 inches.  Similar to today (7" at 4 PM in Spring Mount and still snowing).

5pm: 26°, moderate snow, 3.9" today, wind NNW10G20mph, pressure 30.22" rising slowly. Changeover started around 11:30am with a period of snow, sleet and "white rain". The real snow started 1:30-2pm. That's also when the temp. really started to dip. Right now it is just beautiful out there!!

Archived