joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Humpidity Thumpidity dumper/anafront obs 3/3-5 /2015

Ginx snewx

2.0" here now

An inch an hour the last hour

19.4/18

Few pellets mixing in here so the end is near. Too bad because the dog walk was awesome, wish we could have sustained.  Good call by NWS to lower their totals this afternoon.  Mid levels torched quickly surface not so much 22/18.

Probably 1.5" or so new. 

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a rather neat situation going on here, I have sleet, but mixed in is very fine/tiny/dusty looking snow, which is obscuring the visibility.  When I look out, I think it's just snowing, but when I went out, I have good sized sleet pellets mixed in, but alot of that snow I just described above.  I haven't seen that before.

Just got back from a couple of hours of skiing at Mount Southington ( no one the hill and conditions were great) and observed the same thing for the past 1/2 hour - you usually see the snow/parachutes/sleet transition - but there are definitely fine crystals mixing with the sleet.  About 1.5" down here with a temp of 24. 

That crossed my mind, now I feel kind of silly for sharing it on my blog. Any thoughts on what impeded the progress then across LIS?

I'm not a meteorologist but the high pressure system was moving offshore to the south of New England so I believe your area would have been closer to the high pressure and therefore possibly a deeper layer of colder air

There is quite a bit of snow mixed in with this stuff. You flip on the floodlight and it's about 50/50. I wonder if it could be heavily rimed flakes and sleet?whatever it is , it's accumulating fairly well. This is going to a beast to shovel and plow

Pretty much what is going on here right now.  Super fine flakes with some pl mixed in. 

Archived