• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Anafrontal Thumpul Discussion 3/5

TheSnowman

Would be funny, if this is just wet flakes falling and not accumulating. I asked about BL temps before but if this is light , we may have trouble in BOS until 430 or so to stack some light snow and chip away at record

We're not accumulating if it snows until dark.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm busy looking at other stuff, but the pike might be the dividing line between flurries and an inch or two. If I had to, maybe blend 6z GFS and euro/rgem..but the flags are out.  6z GFS makes sense to me, but am aware it did tick north. I suppose Euro and RGEM have to be taken into consideration given how reliable they can be....but like I said...I think I may take those with heavy heavy caution flags. 

You think it starts as snow tonight or do we start as ice?

You think it starts as snow tonight or do we start as ice?

I haven't looked at soundings, but my guess is snow. Maybe a pellet or two wouldn't shock me.  I miss the days of lows going underneath us and easy calls. Annoying turn of events lately...sounds weenie I know..but PITA storms.

NAM and GFS look to be at least and I mean at least an hour too slow with the progression of the southern stream s/w. And also a bit too far south with it too. Don't know how this will feedback into them once they realize where this thing is located as it gets into better data assimilation sites.

WV - 11z

post-437-0-08295400-1425470995_thumb.jpg

6z GFS 6hr prog for 12z

post-437-0-50264400-1425471029_thumb.jpg

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM THURSDAY/...

SHORT RANGE MODELS IN GOOD AGREEMENT ON TIMING...THOUGH STILL

SOME DIFFERENCES ON PLACEMENT OF THE STALLED FRONT S OF NEW

ENGLAND. HIGH RES MODELS /HRRR...WRF AND RAP13/ AND AS WELL AS THE

00Z NAM AND ECMWF WERE IN GOOD AGREEMENT...WITH THE 00Z GFS A BIT

FURTHER N THAN THE OTHER MODELS. USED A NON-GFS BLEND FOR THIS

FORECAST.

QUESTION REMAINS HOW FAR N WILL THE MOISTURE FROM THE APPROACHING

SURFACE WAVE MOVING ALONG THE STALLED FRONT WILL GO. MODELS STILL

SIGNALING A SHARP NORTH CUTOFF TO THE PRECIP AS IT MOVES E-NE

OVERNIGHT...WITH THE HEAVIER PRECIP REMAINING ACROSS S COASTAL

AREAS. KEPT CAT POPS GOING ACROSS S RI/S COASTAL MA AND THE

ISLANDS...WITH LIKELY POPS ACROSS N CT/MOST OF RI INTO SE MA. DID

KEEP CHANCE POPS GOING TO AROUND THE MASS PIKE THEN SHOULD BE

LITTLE IF ANY PRECIP N OF THERE.

GOOD SLUG OF PRECIP MOVES E ACROSS S COASTAL AREAS MAINLY AFTER

MIDNIGHT THROUGH MIDDAY THU. ANOTHER QUESTION WILL BE HOW QUICKLY

THE COLD AIR FILTERS IN. LOOKS LIKE TIMING IS SIMILAR TO PREVIOUS

FORECAST...SO EXPECT TEMPS FALLING BELOW FREEZING AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SO...RAIN WILL MIX WITH SOME SLEET BEFORE CHANGING OVER TO SNOW

DURING TONIGHT. PLUS...WITH PERIODS OF MODERATE SNOW...WILL

LIKELY SEE DYNAMIC COOLING LATE TONIGHT INTO THU MORNING ACROSS S

COASTAL AREAS.

EXPECT TOTAL QPF TONIGHT AND THU TO RANGE FROM AROUND 0.1 TO 0.2

INCHES CLOSE TO THE MASS PIKE UP TO 0.5 TO 0.8 INCHES ACROSS THE S

COAST...CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS. WITH THE COLDER AIR WORKING

IN...WILL SEE A GOOD AMOUNT OF SNOWFALL...WITH THE BEST SHOT

ACROSS THE ISLANDS.

FEEL CONFIDENT THAT THE ISLANDS WILL RECEIVE THE HIGHEST SNOWFALL

FROM THIS PASSING SYSTEM...SO WENT WITH A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR

THOSE AREAS. KEPT A WATCH GOING ALONG THE S COAST FOR NOW AS THERE

IS STILL A CHANCE THAT THEY WILL ALSO SEE 6+ INCHES OF SNOW BUT

STILL ON THE FENCE ON THIS...MAY ALSO BE JUST BELOW WARNING

CRITERIA.

EXPECT STEADY PRECIP TO CONTINUE THROUGH A GOOD PORTION OF THU...

THOUGH WILL START TO DIMINISH DURING THU AFTERNOON AS THE LOW PRES

WAVE MOVES BY AND THE UPPER TROUGH APPROACHES. PRECIP SHOULD START

TAPERING OFF FROM NW-SE...THOUGH WILL LINGER ACROSS E RI/SE MA

THROUGH MOST OF THE DAY.

I haven't looked at soundings, but my guess is snow. Maybe a pellet or two wouldn't shock me.  I miss the days of lows going underneath us and easy calls. Annoying turn of events lately...sounds weenie I know..but PITA storms.

Well from a forecast perspective it's not a weenie comment. Introducing two more precip types definitely complicates things.

I understand a bit of frustration pike north, but the snowfall distribution is starting to become more uniform....which quite frankly is incredible. Yes, I know the areas near the CT river are trailing, but you got areas near the south coast near 85". Take a step back for a second....that's pretty nuts.

I understand a bit of frustration pike north, but the snowfall distribution is starting to become more uniform....which quite frankly is incredible. Yes, I know the areas near the CT river are trailing, but you got areas near the south coast near 85". Take a step back for a second....that's pretty nuts.

I agree.

Even the mid atl is now knocking on epic's door.

I just did a drive by down there to give up props.

All in half a winter, sick.

When looking at climate sites that record snowfall, CAR, GYX, BTV, ALY, BOX, and OKX are all above normal snowfall for the season.

Can't really infer the others based on precipitation for the season, because if you look at ALB they are 0.57" below normal precip but 24" above normal snowfall for the season.

When looking at climate sites that record snowfall, CAR, GYX, BTV, ALY, BOX, and OKX are all above normal snowfall for the season.

Can't really infer the others based on precipitation for the season, because if you look at ALB they are 0.57" below normal precip but 24" above normal snowfall for the season.

I assume my co-worker's measurements are accurate, but even in Bristol RI..I believe he has 65" give or take..and that's after getting screwed badly in a couple of storms.

Testament to the extreme cold.

Archived