• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm OBS Thread

UnionWeatherWx

Just drove all the way from Fairfax Co.,Virginia to Bergen County. Took about 7.5hrs. Was ZR until near Elizabeth and has been moderate snow from there up north. Road was a mess and thankfully we reached safely.

Wow that's nearly 2x as long as it should normally take.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know its strange...considering we're just "the coast"...and invariably forecast to receive the least.  Like I once wrote about habits; they are hard to break.

Aside from the usual blanket generalizations that we are not "north and west" being sometimes not useful, right now we are effectively 25 miles inland.  There is an ocean 25 miles south of us, and a good deal of ice just to our north.

It's a good thing the winds are from the south....not sure how much sound enhancement there would be with the degree of ice coverage.  Even in the open water, the water temp is probably below 32.

26 degrees with moderate snow here and 3.5" new as of 5PM.  Current snow depth is 16".

I skied this afternoon at Caleb Smith SP..  It was awesome, although I did get kind of wet.

3.8" new snow Port Jeff @ 5:30 PM...have now cracked the 50 inch barrier for the season (50.4").  Snow continues to fall with about a foot and a half on the ground. 

Wohooooo!! Thats a biggie!! Congrats Pam!cracked the 35 inch mark here for the season! Not bad at all. Just want one Boston like season before departing this universe & Im good :D

Guest Pamela

Wohooooo!! Thats a biggie!! Congrats Pam!cracked the 35 inch mark here for the season! Not bad at all. Just want one Boston like season before departing this universe & Im good :D

Thnxs much!  Like I always say, the luck evens out over the course of time...in weather...and in life.  Plus, my first and most important Iron Rule of Forecasting:  You can't fight climatology.

4" here or so. My sister is driving home to Smithtown. Left at 2:45 and not home yet.

The roads are snow covered, but in a 2.5 mile ride home this afternoon I must have seen a half dozen plows.  That didn't prevent me from getting stuck behind some knuckle head going 5mph with his 4-ways flashing on a road with pretty good traction.  Anyone that afraid has no business driving.

I did see one SUV with apparently the opposite problem stuck in an awkward position on top of a snow bank.

Thnxs much!  Like I always say, the luck evens out over the course of time...in weather...and in life.  Plus, my first and most important Iron Rule of Forecasting:  You can't fight climatology.

Congrats….i always thought this was a 4-7 event for the North shore 

The roads are snow covered, but in a 2.5 mile ride home this afternoon I must have seen a half dozen plows. That didn't prevent me from getting stuck behind some knuckle head going 5mph with his 4-ways flashing on a road with pretty good traction. Anyone that afraid has no business driving.

I did see one SUV with apparently the opposite problem stuck in an awkward position on top of a snow bank.

I've always said, "if you're too scared to drive get off the road!" I get so mad driving behind those people.

Guest Pamela

Congrats….i always thought this was a 4-7 event for the North shore 

Thxns Tim.  Is Edison in or out of the mix?

The line raced N and got hung up .  It is pushing NE but very slowly . http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=DIX-N0C-1-96

The last few runs of both the NAM and GFS have been relatively consistent hanging the taint line near the south shore and from there into NE NJ.  Little variations, but the progress we are seeing with that line matches up well with what has been consistently modeled/

Archived