• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

oh, OK, maybe I did too then but just don't remember the specifics....I am just looking at my records which showed nearly 9 inches over 5 hours so I just avg. 2" an hour in my mind from that....but there could have been a BURST like you said in the middle.

It was one of the most impressive bursts of snow I've ever seen. This one is fun and a great start to met spring, but I don't see my area getting more than 1-2"

Honestly I think today will be a lot like what 12/8/2013 was "supposed" to be

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of us don't care much about ice--plus the usual over nervousness about ice. Whenever I talk about ice I think bigger impacts other than driving.. it takes like a trace of ice to mess up driving so if ice is in the forecast and you have to drive you should probably just go into it knowing that it's going to be a problem. One NWS job is scaring people into not leaving home.. not ours here.

We jumped to the ice talk, which, I agree, tends to be lower impact unless one of the all-timers, and slipped past, I think, the initial burst of snow and sleet. I view sleet differently from freezing rain, causes more problems on roads and walks etc. Ice accretion generally not a problem, and if that was all this was, I would think the tone of the board was right. A little more of an event, especially up this way, than I was expecting I guess. Partly my fault, but looked at lwx advisory before going to sleep last night and didn't see the drift toward a warning coming.

Again, this was a general observation about how the board talked about this event, not aimed at anyone in particular. Also, I don't have the stress of being responsible for a CWG discussion....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't want to take this too off-topic, but yeah...I've never understood why some on here act like those who root for ice are rooting for the end of the world or something.

That might be a bit dramatic, but I certainly dont root for it. My property is 6 acres, completely wooded with trees all around the house. A legit ice storm is the last thing I want.

Here comes a chunk of orange/red energy from west virginia. I hope that for those of you who are snow, that it is ALL snow and you pile up a quick 8 inches of pow. I'll take moderate ZR and sleet. By tonight I'll be able to strap on my ice skates and go skating on my sidewalk LMAO :)

Welcome to Meteorological Spring!  Just back from running errands heading out Route 40-west to the western end of Ellicott City.  Main road (Route 40) was becoming snow-covered along the edges but road generally wet, not icy.  That may have changed in last 1/2-hr, tho.  Side streets totally covered. Would guess 1/2" -- it's been all snow so far.  Temp is down 2/10 degree from today's high, now at 22.5.  Nice snow rates, all things considered.

Archived