joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense to me. Slop and rain near the coast, heavy snow north and west. Remember the warm air at mid levels too, which is often under forecasted at this stage with the mid level lows north of us. More precip means more warm air involvement.

Dude please you are wrong. SLP exits to the south of the area and the warmth at the mid levels get muted.

All the models but the euro trended colder.

This is coming into a cold air mass.

It's not rain and slop at the coast.

Dude please you are wrong. SLP exits to the south of the area and the warmth at the mid levels get muted.

Hard To go against the rain/slop thinking for the immediate coast if you live there when you see model forecasts like this.

Mid level warmth doesn't become muted unless the mid level lows close off south of you. The process that generates heavy precip north of these lows also increases warm advection (rising warm air causes more precip). I'll grant that the airmass is cold ahead of this but a southerly flow and no high means the immediate coast is in trouble, like last Saturday where Long Island was largely limited to 2-4" before slop and rain. A setup I've seen a thousand times. Note I'm not talking down chances for good snow over inland areas and maybe even Manhattan or the Bronx.

The nam and GGEM have it going south, the euro and GFS have it going north of the area. I think it goes south too but, I'm a little hesitant to say that for sure at the moment. I want to see what 0z looks like tonight

Mid level warmth doesn't become muted unless the mid level lows close off south of you. The process that generates heavy precip north of these lows also increases warm advection (rising warm air causes more precip). I'll grant that the airmass is cold ahead of this but a southerly flow and no high means the immediate coast is in trouble, like last Saturday where Long Island was largely limited to 2-4" before slop and rain. A setup I've seen a thousand times. Note I'm not talking down chances for good snow over inland areas and maybe even Manhattan or the Bronx.

i live on long island...ive been told by people like you everytime before one of these swfe events im gunna have slop and rain...i have yet to see a raindrop from ANY of them...pls stop.

i live on long island...ive been told by people like you everytime before one of these swfe events im gunna have slop and rain...i have yet to see a raindrop from ANY of them...pls stop.

How much did you have last Saturday and during the end of Jan SWFE vs places in interior CT and the LHV? I don't know where on LI you live but You didn't see what the jackpot areas there did. Storms like these do not favor Long Island. You might not like hearing it but it's still true.

Yes. But light S flow over snow pack is not a killer. E flow is.

By the time the mid levels warm the damage is done. I think there is .5 to .75 around by the time this done. I think like like sat there is close to 6 inches at KNYC and the N shore.

If we both agree 4 is probably on the the S shore and 8 into the LHV.

a change at the end is likely drizzle. If your forecast Is 2 to 4 then that's not far off and a lot better than rain and slop .

Then you and I are arguing over 2 inches which is a non event.

This will be a more traditional latitude oriented event, this last event was not a classic SWFE, it had insane WAA and strong south winds, this right now has more potential to stay snow longer but at the same time probably won't have anywhere near as much precip

gemreg18_PT.18.gif?t=1425072550

Most of the guidance has come to the GEM and I think the shorter ranges models will come to the RGEM as it has done a better job seeing low level cold air

The models have a habit of over warning the mid layers to quickly

The one difference I have is I think this is .5 plus system.

We will see by 12z tomorrow if the guidance catches up or not

Archived