joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody is calling for plain rain, but both the GFS and NAM show a flip to either ZR or IP after the initial thumping, very similar to the last event.

And I am telling you look at GEM and RGEM which are colder and goes with the pattern

You guys have to stop taking an OP output as a forecast and look outside it's scope.

Low level cold air is not seen well and source region matters.

Models don't see this air sometimes until they are on top of it and then correct.

The model is a tool. You have to look at this from a macro point of view and see what is likely to happen.

And I am telling you look at GEM and RGEM which are colder and goes with the pattern

You guys have to stop taking an OP output as a forecast and look outside it's scope.

Low level cold air is not seen well and source region matters.

Models don't see this air sometimes until they are on top of it and then correct.

The model is a tool. You have to look at this from a macro point of view and see what is likely to happen.

Nobody is arguing low level cold air. 850's bump above freezing for a few hours early Monday morning. Pretty typical of a SWFE.

Yeh we fell for 4 to 6 last Saturday without blocking huh.

how did that one work out with LP going to our W

The pattern is filled with low level cold air that can't get displaced. The GEM and NAM spin a center up S of the area.

Don't fall for the rain crap. It's snow. Havent been wrong on these this month Not once.

Ride the hot hand and the pattern.

The NAM (which everyone dumps on when it shows what they don't like) and GFS both trended warmer from 0z and the Euro hasn't budged from a warm outcome. Maybe these are wrong but the pattern to me says it might easily change from snow around NYC and northern areas get the better accums. Just because a past storm did one thing doesn't mean it will repeat when the pattern changes. The GGEM is really on its own with a cold solution everywhere and other models are moving in the Euro direction.

The NAM (which everyone dumps on when it shows what they don't like) and GFS both trended warmer from 0z and the Euro hasn't budged from a warm outcome. Maybe these are wrong but the pattern to me says it might easily change from snow around NYC and northern areas get the better accums. Just because a past storm did one thing doesn't mean it will repeat when the pattern changes. The GGEM is really on its own with a cold solution everywhere and other models are moving in the Euro direction.

NAM/GFS trended colder from 0 to 12z...

They have the same criteria now, 5". Don't know where you heard that about less plows, but that sounds bogus.

Yeah that is definitely bogus.  Even though they get less snow the inland South Jersey, these aren't the 70's anymore where even the main roads didn't get plowed till days later sometimes. All roads get plowed down there and probably have at least the same if not more plows than DC area. ha ha ha 

In my small municipality of 10 square miles we have at least a dozen snow plows and probably 6-8 salt/sanders. Some places in SNJ don't have that many county wide.

They typically hire outside contractors to plow the roads for major storms down there. Heck even in Marlboro they hire outside contractors for extra help to plow our streets for even moderate storms.  (congrats to you btw on your engagement)

They typically hire outside contractors to plow the roads for major storms down there. Heck even in Marlboro they hire outside contractors for extra help to plow our streets for even moderate storms.  (congrats to you btw on your engagement)

Thanks Bud,

I've seen it where a week after a storm my Grandmother, who lives in Pomona, still has not had here street plowed yet, and she lives in one of the more densely populated sections of Atlantic County.

Thanks Bud,

I've seen it where a week after a storm my Grandmother, who lives in Pomona, still has not had here street plowed yet, and she lives in one of the more densely populated sections of Atlantic County.

ahhh yeah Pomona's out in the woods, literally.  Close to AC, but most of it is in the pine barrens. That might explain why. Relatively small town.  (although it does have the AC airport/FAA center and Stockton University)

ahhh yeah Pomona's out in the woods, literally.  Close to AC, but most of it is in the pine barrens. That might explain why. Relatively small town.  (although it does have the AC airport/FAA center and Stockton University)

As you probably know it's part of the much larger Galloway Township and I'm sure they have quite a bit of money. They can go years without seeing any measurable snowfall and then you get a stretch like 2010-2011 where they get repeatedly buried. 

Advisories if nothing changes...6"+ would be a stretch...

Agreed, NWS needs 60% confidence of warning criteria snowfall to issue a watch, but I could see a few in CNJ and perhaps a bit further North due to the prospect of snow to freezing rain if that looks to be more likely moving forward. 

I don't really understand the obsession with a watch/warning/advisory, as if it has some impact on how much snow can fall. I always think that it's some kid that believes a warning will more likely give him or her a snowday from school. 

As I always tell kids, study and do your homework instead of praying that Mother Nature bails you out. 

Archived