• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Norlun Trough Discussion - Feb. 19

NorEastermass128

The Leon thing is sort of an inside joke. Thanksgiving Day 1993...Cowboys and Fins slipping and sliding in a snow/ice game in Dallas in Novie...Leon Lett becomes the memorable buffoon of the game. It was the kickoff to that winter and the wx in that game was sorta symbolic to the eventual winter season.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood the Leon Lett thing.

This has been explained before

It was the second snowiest Boston winter until yesterday. That snowstorm I think swing up here and started an epic period

My guess is it won't be the last time someone asks

The Leon thing is sort of an inside joke. Thanksgiving Day 1993...Cowboys and Fins slipping and sliding in a snow/ice game in Dallas in Novie...Leon Lett becomes the memorable buffoon of the game. It was the kickoff to that winter and the wx in that game was sorta symbolic to the eventual winter season.

All I've ever seen is "Leon"  is coming, or other references to it.  I asked once before and got some vague answer.  I don't think I heard the answer about that storm kicking off the winter season.  I kept thinking it had something to do with the football game. 

All I've ever seen is "Leon" is coming, or other references to it. I asked once before and got some vague answer. I don't think I heard the answer about that storm kicking off the winter season. I kept thinking it had something to do with the football game.

As a young snow weenie I remember watching that game and getting excited for winter. I had just started taking my own wx obs and have been doing it since.

This has been explained before

It was the second snowiest Boston winter until yesterday. That snowstorm I think swing up here and started an epic period

I still don't understand why Leon is coming. I will never understand the reference.

Why not the NAFTA winter? Nancy Kerrigan? the Chunnel?

Al Cowlings? Rangers win the cup?

Lots more memorable stuff than a concussed lineman running the wrong way

I still don't understand why Leon is coming. I will never understand the reference.

My brother and his family ran into Nancy Kerrigan at Disney 2 or 3 days ago. They also ran into some nefarious teacher who married a teenage student in the 90s whose name I forget...I have no clue how they recognized her...

That game and the weather aspect just came up one day when we were discussing 93-94. Leon just stuck.

It has something to do with a huge missed field goal towards latter December in the snow by a player named Leon....and from that point forward, it was like someone had hit the switch.

A slow start evolved into a winter for the ages for Boston, the s shore and over to the Worcester hills...it was ok where I was, but not great.

Lots of CJs and some elevation events late.

It came together nicely.  I heard my text beep go off and it was Matt/Brett saying it was snowing.  Woke me up.  Stayed up through just about the whole band.  Right now these kind of events are perfect.  Low impact but drop high fluff factor.

I see the slant-sticker was out again in Lunenburg. 4.0"  LOL.

That is awesome

That is a joke, is it the son of some NWS official, why do they accept these asinine totals

Had 2.0" of 25:1 fluff (1/2" in 10 minutes) as I headed in for Augusta just before 7.  Most of the commute was in 1/16 mile visibility, though oncoming headlights became visible at about 1/10 mile.  Roads were fine, but short sight distance meant 35-40 mph tops most of the time.  Actually kind of a fun drive, as I was more than halfway there before encountering much traffic.  3.5" in the AUG parking lot at 8:10 with -SN; might've reached 4".  Probably totaled 4-5" at home.

Edit:  Thanks for the Leon explanation.  However, when I think of that guy, his showboat/goof in SB 27 comes to mind.

Archived