joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he should have came on here and read all the posts saying the models were not cold enough and it would mostly sleet here. But then again he thinks only the professionals should be discussing things.

Instead of bashing a met, I'm more interested in hearing your explanation about the models not being cold enough for FZ so we got sleet instead.  

Maybe he should have came on here and read all the posts saying the models were not cold enough and it would mostly sleet here. But then again he thinks only the professionals should be discussing things.

You do realize that everyone discussing weather on here is basically talking on an internet message board while he is on air talking to millions of people, right? 

smdh......seriously?  I believe it's time for you to read more and post less before you are on the outside looking in  :angry:  

Instead of bashing a met, I'm more interested in hearing your explanation about the models not being cold enough for FZ so we got sleet instead.  

He couldn't explain his way out of a wet paper bag    <_<

Can anyone explain why the models were wrong? All I know from reading here last night were indications that we would get more sleet and less freezing rain as the storm went on. I like Fishel, but it seems he has been on a crusade this winter against places like this and people on social media that are not professional mets discussing the weather and the possibilities. I think WRAL might rely on their in-house model too much. I enjoy how folks on here look at other things and think outside the box. But I guess it is better to be more safe than sorry, and the local TV mets have a lot more to answer to. But I do think it is valuable to have other outlets like here to get info from.

Not sure why he's defensive, they were pretty clear that if we got more sleet we would get less ZR. Fishel might come across as a wet blanket sometimes, but there's no other local met who's better.

Vince from Raleigh NWS came out to Kville to give us storm spotter training said one of the things Fishel has to content with when it congress to spend is pressure from the station's execs to build up storms to get more viewers to get more advertising bucks and he's not thrilled with it. I'm sure if that's true then he faces more pressure to build storms up than necessary and to take criticism when you do your best hurts.

Can anyone explain why the models were wrong? All I know from reading here last night were indications that we would get more sleet and less freezing rain as the storm went on. I like Fishel, but it seems he has been on a crusade this winter against places like this and people on social media that are not professional mets discussing the weather and the possibilities. I think WRAL might rely on their in-house model too much. I enjoy how folks on here look at other things and think outside the box. But I guess it is better to be more safe than sorry, and the local TV mets have a lot more to answer to. But I do think it is valuable to have other outlets like here to get info from.

You're evading my question.  Please answer, or you're actually proving Fishel's point about amateurs posting on social media.  

"Instead of bashing a met, I'm more interested in hearing your explanation about the models not being cold enough for FZ so we got sleet instead."  

You are misreading Greg. He's on a crusade against people irresponsibly sharing model maps as gospel on social media. He wants people to be aware that the models are fickle and change frequently and also show scenarios that aren't likely. He's also educating the broader public on the difficulties of working with the models.

You are misreading Greg. He's on a crusade against people irresponsibly sharing model maps as gospel on social media. He wants people to be aware that the models are fickle and change frequently and also show scenarios that aren't likely. He's also educating the broader public on the difficulties of working with the models.

I don't even know why we're having this conversation. Brick couldn't read a model to save his life.

Suggestion is to take the hires HRRR data run hourly yesterday and you will clearly see how the depth of the above freezing warm nose slightly above 825mb was in constant flux yesterday that eventually saved many from a crippling ice storm by getting sleet instead.

Also see my mountain thread on the Mount Mitchell observations at 6600 feet yesterday. They were up and down all over the place from 12 degrees up to 31 degrees and vascillated up and down all day showing you in real time what was going on at that crucial level making for a very difficult forecast yesterday.

Go to the NC Cronos site to load the hourly data.

Models are not the end result, meteorology is.

This...I agree completely!

I do agree with that. Maybe I misread the tone of his posts on facebook. That can be easy to do online.

Totals:

Pushing 2" of sleet ( did not Measure in the middle the night when we got less then .10" of FR) around my yard!

I can say the HRRR nailed the short range yesterday. At 3 PM temperature was 35°, by 5 PM temperature was 28°. This drop as shown by the HRRR, saved my location from freezing rain7ae34e398da03d55b342416eb3c196dc.jpg

And I get this sweet view today!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted Brick to explain why it was too warm for freezing rain so we ended up with sleet. I never heard that before. 

Me either! How about this: The warm nose was pointy rather than blunt, so the part over much of NC was relatively shallow compared with the thickness and intensity of the cold air. Therefore time for the refreeze into sleet. Thank goodness!

Will all of this sunlight and warm temps (possible mid 30s) do a lot to melt?  Or do we really need to wait until tomorrow afternoon  (talking about raleigh area)

The main streets down here near fuquay don't look great at all.  Unless we have different definitions of "main"...  401 looks OK...but the side roads are horrendous

Plus, I think tomorrow morning could be worse...  This stuff will freeze solid tonight and more people will be out in the morning thinking it is OK

Archived