joxey
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREF H5 at 21 hours

f21.gif

The ARW solutions which create an apps runner with a solid snow-ice hit and 1" QPF really amp up and dig the first s/w. The others do not.

Now here is the 0z RAP at the same time. Notice how the first s/w matches the depiction of the ARW members. Very interesting if you ask me. We should know where this is headed by tomorrow morning.

RAP_255_2015021500_F18_RELV_500_MB.png

The trend this season has been to amplify the northern stream as the storm approaches, which I believe is reflected here. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes an apps runner with a solid front end.

remember that the ARW members are initialized off of the RAP, so the agreement there is not surprising.

SREF H5 at 21 hours

The ARW solutions which create an apps runner with a solid snow-ice hit and 1" QPF really amp up and dig the first s/w. The others do not.

Now here is the 0z RAP at the same time. Notice how the first s/w matches the depiction of the ARW members. Very interesting if you ask me. We should know where this is headed by tomorrow morning.

I see what you mean at that particular hour of the run but the 18z run ended up with a storm off the VA Capes and this run ends up way east. I don't know if I would call that an improvement. Correction, just saw that this run ends up very simiiar to the 18z run with the last in a series of lows off the VA Capes. So its still close. 

well, if the initial conditions are the drivers of the solution, then any models initialized off of the same analysis will have similar evolutions.   The HRRR is initialized from the RAP, so I would expect the upper levels to evolve similarly in almost all cases.

Had no idea. Fwiw HRRR also agrees at hour 15. Do short range models do thing like this at the end of their runs?

Its too close not too. And there is too much spread and not a lot of consistency run to run.. This goes down to the wire. I agree it will likely take till 0z tomorrow.

If the models somehow revert back to focusing on the 2nd wave then this will go down to the wire and won't be totally resolved until well into Monday. Don't forget if it is the 2nd wave that gets us it won't start snowing until midday Tuesday.

SREF is awful at range.. not sure why anyone even looks at it. Might be worse than the NAM at range. It's like a fine tuning tool in the short range more than anything.. sometimes useful out to 48. Better for svr than snow IMO. This is a weather board but people should also learn over time...

SREF is awful at range.. not sure why anyone even looks at it. Might be worse than the NAM at range. It's like a fine tuning tool in the short range more than anything.. sometimes useful out to 48. Better for svr than snow IMO. This is a weather board but people should also learn over time...

If you toned down the passive aggressiveness 1% maybe somebody here would like you.

Archived