Newest Member
    joxey
Snowathon Obs/ Nowcast 02/07-02/09

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderate burst now just after typing that. 8.4F

does the radar seem to be reflecting reality or is it underthebeam-ing?  tonights's band getting organized to the wsw of you.

well into the 60s under sunny skies here in savannah.  Just laid on the grass in a t-shirt in Forsyth Park.  Totally beautiful city, but med range models will determine when I sneak back for a couple days.

The title of this thread should contain "Now cast," as well ... 

Currently, although HPC's most recent surface analysis (about an hour and a half ago...) depicts the arctic boundary as having become stationary east-west through eastern PA/NJ out some 60 or so miles S of LI, there seems to be a secondary push of colder air currently aligning from west of ALB to between the Rt 2 corridor and the Mass Pike.  

Above this secondary virtual boundary ... temperature have plummeted into the mid teens.  Meanwhile, along the South Coast of SNE, temperatures are in the low to mid 30s.  Also, radar shows a narrow band of precipiation intensifying along/N of this same llv gradient, west of ALB into southern VT.  

Mentioned this yesterday and the day before on a couple of different posts that one way this event could over-perform, relative to the weak looking jet mechanics through the deeper layers, is by having low-mlv anomalously tilted frontal sloping to direct any UVM less slantwise and more upright. That would make snow growth from condensates more efficient relative to what's available.  I would hunch this east-west extending band is perhaps systemic from that being the case... 

We'll see how it evolves...

John--what does that mean for those of us like me who have no idea what you said?  Thanks.

17.9/16

sn-

Cf slid east of BOS.

KBOS 081830Z 35013KT 1 3/4SM -SN BR OVC010 M06/M07 A3002 RMK AO2 SNB17 P0000

Harv spoke about this on his 'cast the other night, how in his experience the CF gets pushed farther S. I agree... when newly arriving +PP north ushers in "tucks" like this, it's back-built and thus has strong ageostrophic components.  

post-904-0-74316600-1423421343_thumb.jpg

does the radar seem to be reflecting reality or is it underthebeam-ing?  tonights's band getting organized to the wsw of you.

well into the 60s under sunny skies here in savannah.  Just laid on the grass in a t-shirt in Forsyth Park.  Totally beautiful city, but med range models will determine when I sneak back for a couple days.

This is the snow equivalent of drizzle. Just tiny snow grains. Any small bands rotating through on radar actually produce decent growth.

8.1F and up to 3"

You can see that Plume on radar  W-E over Ma border with VT and  East toward SW NH...starting to sink down or expand and soon to envelop Route 2 corridor next hour. That plume has some really nice returns stretching back thru NY state and over to Michigan/Lake Ontario area.

We bang soon.

Archived