Newest Member
    joxey
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same map since 3 am brother

I'd watch for the REAL cut back around 4pm (at least that is when I've seen it update a few times before) will be on look out

That's a different map from the 3 AM one, the 3 AM one had a much wider swath of 18-24 and had 14-18 all across MA and into CT as well. Looks like a ~4" cutback across the board which is reasonable.

Perhaps clear your cache if you're not seeing it?

kudos to the mets yesterday who thought this wasnt gonna produce widespread big numbers......qpf queens or not, most locations have been cut by 50 pct already....and some of the sharper more realistic minds here also expressed concerns about poor snow growth....unlike the last system which tossed us a bone at the end, i just dont see this one surprising in a good way

Been getting slowly bumped up imby.   :popcorn:

That's a different map from the 3 AM one, the 3 AM one had a much wider swath of 18-24 and had 14-18 all across MA and into CT as well. Looks like a ~4" cutback across the board which is reasonable.

Yeah, I think this is the afternoon update. Usually see it around 3:30 or 3:45 but might have been early today. 

The warning was also updated by BOX in the past half hour. Total includes what already fell, so I guess another 6 to 14/ 14 to 20 still, which is in line with the earlier warning.

* Snow accumulations...total snow accumulations of 10 to 18 inches expected through early Tuesday morning. A localized heavier band of 18 to 24 inches remains possible from near Boston and into northeast Massachusetts.

* Timing...steady snow re-develops late this afternoon and early this evening. Heaviest snow falls from tonight into Monday evening. Snow may be falling at 1 to 2 inches per hour near the I-95 corridor during the Monday morning rush hour.

I Stand corrected. 138pm time stamp. Agree not much different for many areas. ESP CF "jack" thou they just sharpened up the grids as they seem more confident of where band will set up. I'll Be nude if that happens. 4.2 has fallen here compacted to 3.5 as of 3 hrs ago.

Still the event hasn't changed that much imo.

Lets let the precip move into this pm and see what shakes out tonight.

I love talking about model trends and things of that nature, but you can't spike the football on big totals prior and ditto to low totals IMO either. Ya  I mean I never thought 1.2 QPF where you are had a chance in hell of happening so i'm not surprised it cut back.

Ditto Gyx/Box maps if peeps expected those totals then yes they will prob be disappointed but man there is a lot to go with this thing, ramps up next few hours.

The last couple of events I personally have had an issues with some of our maps. It's like we're forecasting the maximum amounts, trying to make sure all snow reports fall at or below our values. Rather than forecasting the most likely and mentioning isolated higher amounts.

We talk about lollis on this board for a reason, because they are few and far between and the vast majority of people won't see those totals.

The last couple of events I personally have had an issues with some of our maps. It's like we're forecasting the maximum amounts, trying to make sure all snow reports fall at or below our values. Rather than forecasting the most likely and mentioning isolated higher amounts.

We talk about lollis on this board for a reason, because they are few and far between and the vast majority of people won't see those totals.

It seems that way at all WFOs around here. Every event this winter we have been under the NWS predictions - sometimes by a factor of 2!

It almost seems like there's a CYA mentality with these maps? Better to have a big city at 2 ft just in case they get there??

It seems that way at all WFOs around here. Every event this winter we have been under the NWS predictions - sometimes by a factor of 2!

It almost seems like there's a CYA mentality with these maps? Better to have a big city at 2 ft just in case they get there??

Same thing with headlines. There is this pressure to fire warnings/advisories out 24+ hours in advance. Not too long ago it was common to hold watches until the snow was just 12 hours away.

I'm not sure what is producing that pressure though. Maybe knowing that somebody will have a map out on social media ASAP, so we have to match?

To paraphrase Kevin, we should start conservative and adjust up if needed.

Same thing with headlines. There is this pressure to fire warnings/advisories out 24+ hours in advance. Not too long ago it was common to hold watches until the snow was just 12 hours away.

I'm not sure what is producing that pressure though. Maybe knowing that somebody will have a map out on social media ASAP, so we have to match?

so glad someone mentioned the early headlines!!

Seems like we've done a 180. I used to grimace at the stuff I saw from the media... Early/hyped up snow maps while the nws was more restrained. Now we actually are feeling the pressure to put out a map since the nws is throwing out numbers so early. Really odd change since I started in 05.

Definitely a Nowcast event wrt where coastal front sets up

Best chance areas from current obs and 12z RGEM as well as RPM models seem

North shore including inside 95

Boston metro including inside 128

down to Canton-Stoughton-Norwood 

I assume it's surface frontogenesis we are looking at where the forcing occurs. . . 

post-3106-0-29516300-1423423721_thumb.pn

maybe whoever is in charge told them to push the hype envelope like accuwx and twc does....maybe grocery store or gas station kickbacks...really how has this come to fruition??

We're definitely trending away from the forecast and more towards support services in the NWS. To do that however, you're putting more and more information out there earlier and earlier. At the same time it's hard to convey uncertainty at days 4 and 5, so everything is taken as fact. So the forecast in essence locks in at that point and we're on a runaway train.

I understand the mentality around here to find ways the forecast can bust to make it snow, but I get the sense that a lot of colleagues of mine do the same while ignoring the caution flags.

Maybe I'm turning into a crusty forecaster already. Get off my lawn! :oldman:

We're definitely trending away from the forecast and more towards support services in the NWS. To do that however, you're putting more and more information out there earlier and earlier. At the same time it's hard to convey uncertainty at days 4 and 5, so everything is taken as fact. So the forecast in essence locks in at that point and we're on a runaway train.

I understand the mentality around here to find ways the forecast can bust to make it snow, but I get the sense that a lot of colleagues of mine do the same while ignoring the caution flags.

Maybe I'm turning into a crusty forecaster already. Get off my lawn! :oldman:

LOL

Any thoughts on the cf coming further back to 495? It is variable wind at the moment out in Dracut; wouldn't a stronger onshore be able to reach further in? The dry air is saturating again as well.

You'll be well west of the CF in Dracut.  I don't see it penetrating too far inland N of BOS.  Probably pegged right along the coastline.

Archived