• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Weekend Storm Threat

IsentropicLift

Lol so true. Then there's that "north-central" reference.

That's what I always say. I always call Middlesex and Somerset Counties north-central Jersey. It makes sense to say that since we're on the northern end of central Jersey. We're not quite northern Jersey, but not far enough south to just be called central Jersey. Anyway, it's good to see the Euro come in colder.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coastal will also be weaker so whomever changes to freezing rain will likely remain freezing rain until the precip shuts off. I don't buy the backed snows that the GFS is spitting out.

I don't expect much backside snows from this either. Definitely, signficantly less than last week's storm. If you miss out on Part I, Part II, with the coastal will not be able to make up for it...

I'm definitely worried about the ice potential for the central and southern portions of the subforum. While I certainly wouldn't expect a crippling ice storm, any amount of ice is dangerous and will cause many accidents and falls.

Roads will depend on temps. It's really going to have to be really cold to get the roads to ice with salt. The January incident had super cold temps right before so the ground was super cold this time it's will not be as cold right before the storm.

I wiped out on ice at work yesterday good thing I was wearing a million layers and kinda just bounced off the ground!!!! Obviously very dangerous for the elderly

SV maps have 2"-4" of from Allentown, PA to LI (all of LI) on a straight line.

4"-6"+ from SWCT and north (straight line west to east).

1"-2" south of Sandy Hook, NJ.

Brooklyn and north are all frozen. 2"-4" of snow and the rest mix/ice.

Total precip is .25"-.50" from Philly to NYC

the moderate qpf actually might lend itself unfortunately to an ICY solution, as you know when rain comes down hard it warms everything

Well it is true that heavy FRZ does not accumulate as good as light to moderate rates.. so moderate rates would be more dangerous for the areas that encounter it.

Accumulation rates of freezing rain depend on droplet size, rate, air temp and a source to refresh the low-level cold.

In 1998, it POURED in New England.    Look at the radar.    But it still accumulated, and rapidly.   ice_storm0204.gif

Accumulation rates of freezing rain depend on droplet size, rate, air temp and a source to refresh the low-level cold.

In 1998, it POURED in New England.    Look at the radar.    But it still accumulated, and rapidly.   ice_storm0204.gif

OK fair enough... I read somewhere that it was what I had said but I guess that was the wrong information.  Thank you for clarifying that.  Obviously there are more factors that go into it besides rate and temp.

the moderate qpf actually might lend itself unfortunately to an ICY solution, as you know when rain comes down hard it warms everything

If the rain freezes on contact it releases heat as it does so.  In that scenario what you say is true.  This is why rain doesn't usually freeze at or very close to 32.  You get an equilibrium where the water runs off instead of freezing.

Archived