joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Weekend Storm Threat

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post is not directed at anybody in particular, but, can we please stop personally attacking people. It not only is uncalled for, it likewise hurts the credibility of this entire thread and there are some excellent as well as very knowledgeable posters on here. So please, think twice before posting.

NWS really is whacked out I was ALL snow for Monday before the update NOW mix bag... with the MODELS trending colder! Does not make any sense at all!!!!

utpon's AFD at 4pm today notes ice is the primary QPF type for everyone except far northern zones....almost like they're reading yesterday's models. 

Middlesex County should be 2 different forecast zones from the raritan river north and west and south and west of the raritan river the other zone - I live about 2 miles south of the eastern   Union County border so I follow the eastern union county forecast zone

and just generally speaking, there's routinely a notable difference in snow totals between southern middlesex county and northern middlesex county.  even just between edison and e. brunswick you always do better.

Been saying that for years.  I think half the time Middlesex is an outlier or discontinuous with Upton, it's because Mt. Holly doesn't have a split county.  Just in the last storm, we weren't in the initial WS watch, but then were added to the warning, but I'm pretty sure if the county was split, they would've only added the northern part, since the snowfall/ice forecasts were much less in the southern half, as often happens when the mix line is across our county.  However, I'd split the county from the Raritan in the east (maybe Sayreville) SW to the point where Middlesex, Somerset and Mercer all meet, i.e., Kingston, since isothermal lines are usually on a NE to SW line.  

On Monday, we got 3.5" of snow on the front end dump and I recall reading that most people in the southern part got 2-2.5", plus our temps never went above 32F, while I know they were above 32F in the southern part of the county.  

utpon's AFD at 4pm today notes ice is the primary QPF type for everyone except far northern zones....almost like they're reading yesterday's models. 

Yea it really does not make any sense... NEG NAO is right they flip flop wayyy too much.  I would say if anything the models have trended to a more snowy solution especially for the LHV which is where I am. 

To their credit, they were the first to begin slashing totals for NYC before the blizzard

everyone knew that We weren't getting hit that much. they got one storm right big deal. Paul Kocin days are over. And that channel is nothing but a bunch of lame shows. Come on show some real weather like in the 90's and early 2000's. Personally I don't think they are even professional! They lack a lot of meteorology terms and model hug each region. They pretty much annoy me to be honest.

everyone knew that We weren't getting hit that much. they got one storm right big deal. Paul Kocin days are over. And that channel is nothing but a bunch of lame shows. Come on show some real weather like in the 90's and early 2000's. Personally I don't think they are even professional! They lack a lot of meteorology terms and model hug each region. They pretty much annoy me to be honest.

They do hype a lot and are obsessed with drawing as much money out of weather as possible (naming winter storms, turning everything into a hashtag, constanly airing TV shows instead of live coverage), which is unfortunate because there are good mets there. For some reason, they think its a good idea to send their best mets out to do live coverage instead of having them in the office, and, you know, forecasting.

I grew up watching guys like Paul Kocin, Dr. Steve Lyons and John Hope. Those guys are all long gone and it's just not the same. Plus they have so many shows on now. It's almost impossible to turn it on and get a quick forecast unless something major is going on. Sort of like how MTV no longer plays music videos.

Right, I guess 30 inches wasn't getting hit, or 20-30 inches.... They didn't really come close with long island for most part

Right, I guess 30 inches wasn't getting hit, or 20-30 inches.... They didn't really come close with long island for most part

everyone on here knew that nyc was on the edge and 8-12 was a good call but we all knew that Long Island was going to get hammered. It was sort of like winter storm n3mo but it was a colder storm so nyc never saw rain on the onset. GFS rolling! Yanks?

Archived