• March 13-14, 1993 - "Superstorm of '93"
    • January 7-9, 1996 - "Blizzard of '96"
    • January 25, 2000
    • February 15-17, 2003 - "PDII"
    • December 18-19, 2009 - "Snowpocalypse"
    • February 5-6, 2010 - "Snowmageddon, part 1"
    • February 9-10, 2010 - "Snowmageddon, part 2"
    • January 22-23, 2016 - "Blizzard of 2016"

From an outsider perspective, I vote to aggregate both of the snowmageddon events into the one voting option.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, but they were definitely 2 distinct, and very different, systems.

I ultimately decided to do the Snowmageddon storms separate not only because they were two separate systems three days apart, but also because where do you draw the line then? The Jan. 1987 fans will say Double Whammy should be on here because both storms were only three days apart. Then the '96 people will say the Jan. 12 clipper (also three days later) should be on here. Then the 09/10 people will argue it really should be 1/30 - 2/10 as it was four systems all one after the other. The 1/25/00 people could say to include 1/20/00 and then the PDII people could even try to argue the Feb. 6-7 storm should be included. So keeping them all separate seemed fair.

Only thing I regret was putting the Feb. 10-11 ice storm instead of the Jan. 17-18 one. The February one was way more impressive and destructive for the eastern shore and southern MD, but the January one had a much bigger impact on the metro areas (especially with the record cold that followed).

St. Paddy Day Magic was the best storm I've seen since moving here.

That storm was my favorite of this decade other than the three 09/10 HECS. Great storm, great memories. I'd probably go so far as to say I'd put it in my personal top ten even though it was only 7 inches here.

just because a pattern allows for multiple storms in a short period of time doesn't mean they should be considered as one.  they definitely should be separate, even feb 2010, which for what it's worth i don't think we will see again in this lifetime.  09/10 winter was like our snow version of what south carolina is experiencing right now.

feb 10, 2010 was fun, but i really don't know how that can be in the same league as feb 5/6, 2010.  the blizzard conditions were primarily due to the existing snowpack from snowmageddon.

I think there is a diff between Blizzard and a KU, then two of the region's most epic blizzards within 3 days of each other.

But, maybe it's just me

Could probably do a poll for best 1-3 week winter period but I wouldn't do it cause there's probably a lot I don't know about. These are the ones that stand out to me:

Feb. 7-19, 1979 ( I wasn't alive for it but seems absolutely insane)

Jan. 22-26, 1987 (too young to remember, but also seems great)

Jan. 17-21, 1994

Jan. 7-13, 1996

Jan. 20-30, 2000

Feb. 6-28, 2003

Jan. 30 - Feb. 10, 2010

Feb. 14 - Mar. 7, 2015

Jan 30 - Feb 10 would get 99% of the votes.

I don't know- I think you'd probably get an even split for the lead between 2010 & 1996 (just like in this poll) with maybe a handful picking 1979, 1987 or 2003. Certainly DC/Baltimore metro would pick 2010 hands down, but other areas probably wouldn't (especially out west)

just because a pattern allows for multiple storms in a short period of time doesn't mean they should be considered as one.  they definitely should be separate, even feb 2010, which for what it's worth i don't think we will see again in this lifetime.  09/10 winter was like our snow version of what south carolina is experiencing right now.

I didn't think so either, but SNE's superwinter last year made me think it might be able to happen again.

feb 10, 2010 was fun, but i really don't know how that can be in the same league as feb 5/6, 2010.  the blizzard conditions were primarily due to the existing snowpack from snowmageddon.

From what I remember, the Feb 10 blizzard was a colder storm with stronger winds. The snowpack from the first storm certainly helped, but even without it the second storm brought a widespread 10-20"+.

I don't live here but I would vote for snowmageddon 2 because how rare is a major storm falling on top of more than a foot of snow...My favorite for NYC is Feb 1961 because of big snow falling on deep  snow cover...as a kid 28" of snow on the ground was like living in heaven..

I don't live here but I would vote for snowmageddon 2 because how rare is a major storm falling on top of more than a foot of snow...My favorite for NYC is Feb 1961 because of big snow falling on deep  snow cover...as a kid 28" of snow on the ground was like living in heaven..

it was better than that Uncle...snowmageddon was more than 2 feet

and yeah, 19"+ from snowmageddon 2 on top of 20"+ otg was heaven

I didn't think so either, but SNE's superwinter last year made me think it might be able to happen again.

From what I remember, the Feb 10 blizzard was a colder storm with stronger winds. The snowpack from the first storm certainly helped, but even without it the second storm brought a widespread 10-20"+.

snoverkill was better around the baltimore area.  we had that squall come through dc and mont. county, but at my location i was right on the back edge and so it was primarily light to moderate after that albeit for most of the day.  still a fun event, but feb 5/6 was the big show and i think out of the big three (96, 03, 10), that 96 was the mother ship simply because of just how widespread it was.  that was a storm i'm not sure i'll see again.  feb 10 seems like a storm we could repeat before we see 96 and 03 because of just how cold those airmasses were.  just my penny.

snoverkill was better around the baltimore area.  we had that squall come through dc and mont. county, but at my location i was right on the back edge and so it was primarily light to moderate after that albeit for most of the day.  still a fun event, but feb 5/6 was the big show and i think out of the big three (96, 03, 10), that 96 was the mother ship simply because of just how widespread it was.  that was a storm i'm not sure i'll see again.  feb 10 seems like a storm we could repeat before we see 96 and 03 because of just how cold those airmasses were.  just my penny.

Part 2 was basically a BWI to Philly bull's eye. Each one of those four storms moved the bull's eye a little further north and east I think- for instance, 1/30 was RIC's biggest storm but they got very little in Feb. Philly got almost nothing from 1/30 bit got hit hard in both snowmageddons, etc.

IMBY at the time (Glen Burnie) I remember it started off slow on the 9th, then it stopped that night, then the next day the winds picked up and it snowed like crazy. That afternoon was amazing- I almost voted part 2 over part 1 just for that. Every time I watch those videos I can't believe that actually happened.

None of the 2010 storms were very cold, except 1/30. If you prefer brutal cold with your HECS there's better choices lol

Part 2 was basically a BWI to Philly bull's eye. Each one of those four storms moved the bull's eye a little further north and east I think- for instance, 1/30 was RIC's biggest storm but they got very little in Feb. Philly got almost nothing from 1/30 bit got hit hard in both snowmageddons, etc.

IMBY at the time (Glen Burnie) I remember it started off slow on the 9th, then it stopped that night, then the next day the winds picked up and it snowed like crazy. That afternoon was amazing- I almost voted part 2 over part 1 just for that. Every time I watch those videos I can't believe that actually happened.

None of the 2010 storms were very cold, except 1/30. If you prefer brutal cold with your HECS there's better choices lol

and i think that's what puts 96 and 03 over 10 for me because even with the period of sleet mixed in, when it was snowing it was a cold/powdery snow.  jan 00 was like 96 in that regard.

26-28" wins hands-down. 'Eff the rest.

The second February 2010 storm was interesting, but I had about 8" total, so I'm not that taken by it. Thing is, I feel like we're far less likely to get a storm like that again - a raging Miller B - than we are a February 5-6, 2010 storm - a quality Miller A.

The second February 2010 storm was interesting, but I had about 8" total, so I'm not that taken by it. Thing is, I feel like we're far less likely to get a storm like that again - a raging Miller B - than we are a February 5-6, 2010 storm - a quality Miller A.

Wow, you really did get hosed in the 2/10/10 storm. I got lucky, it's that simple.

Ouch.

Well, one interesting thing I'll remember about the second storm is that when it was being forecast, some mets were talking about 8" of snow like they were shrugging it off, basically saying it won't really be a big deal. That alone is incredible considering where we live.

As for the surprised-sounding comments about how 2/9-10/10 wasn't amazing for people south of DC--- how is there still surprise?! Our NoVA posters have hammered home time-after-time over the years how that storm was good but not nearly historic for them. 

Which just goes to show that of course a poll like this will still be very IMBY even though it's supposed to be regional. 

I still can't pick between 1/96 and 2/5-6/10 for my location. It's a tie based on the criteria that I value: 2/5-6/10 won on storm total and tied on winds; 1/96 won on drifts and street accumulation. But, for the mid-atlantic, 1/96 is IMO the winner given how much more of VA experienced 20"+ snow totals. 

The best question isn't which storm was the best--it's how much longer until we have another storm to add to the list. 

Most of these storms (1979, 1983, 2003, 2010) happened in early/mid February during peak climo, so I think we'll see another one of those in our lifetime (though probably not back-to-back like Feb. 2010).

'93, '96 and Dec. '09 were so unusual in terms of time of year and/or total coverage that I'm not sure we'll ever see something like that again in our lifetimes- could be like 1 in 200 year events or something (I'm just making that number up). I doubt we ever see ice storms like '94 again in our lifetime either.

Jan 96 was just stunning out here from start to finish.  I really have never seen anything like it in my entire life.  During the final hours of 2/10/10 I was having a feeling of deja vu with Jan 96 only it was not as intense in the wind/drifiting dept.   I got 27" from the second Feb. storm, one inch more than 2/5/10, so that was a unbeatable combination for total depth of snow and the one and only time I hired a contractor to remove snow from the driveway and front walkway.

I would love to see a crippling ice storm. Unscheduled vacation without electricity for all!

My agency still has to telework from home even when the gov't is closed so I don't get any snow days, unless I take leave (which I undoubtedly will if we get a HECS!)

I didn't lose power in any of the ice storms but many did. And we were stuck inside for a week. I can't really root for ice storms or even tropical storms anymore- just too destructive for me. But I still root for cold records and snow (I'm still enough of a masochist to root for heat records though).

I would love to see a crippling ice storm. Unscheduled vacation without electricity for all!

you shut your whore mouth -- the ice storm the northern MD areas got in Feb 2014 was terrible. No power for a day, couldn't leave the house until later in the day due to trees down, a one-year old at home. F-that. 

• Haha 1