• March 13-14, 1993 - "Superstorm of '93"
    • January 7-9, 1996 - "Blizzard of '96"
    • January 25, 2000
    • February 15-17, 2003 - "PDII"
    • December 18-19, 2009 - "Snowpocalypse"
    • February 5-6, 2010 - "Snowmageddon, part 1"
    • February 9-10, 2010 - "Snowmageddon, part 2"
    • January 22-23, 2016 - "Blizzard of 2016"

you shut your whore mouth -- the ice storm the northern MD areas got in Feb 2014 was terrible. No power for a day, couldn't leave the house until later in the day due to trees down, a one-year old at home. F-that. 

there is not 1 person i know who has ever experienced power loss for 24 hours or longer that makes a wish for a crippiling ice storm, NOBODY!

PDII was another one I almost picked- I have some funny stories about that storm that I should write about when I have time.

Was browsing through this thread again and I forgot this part- long story short, my dad and I used to have snowmobiles stored at my grandparents house in PA, but we happened to have them temporarily stored here in Feb. 2003. During PDII we got them out and rode them around the area in the middle of the storm. Our next door neighbor (who was a cop) had never rode on one before- he rode around with us for awhile, then asked us if he could borrow it for his patrol since no one could get on the roads, so we loaned it to him. After the storm ended we were doing laps around the house and made it into a track- those were some tight corners since the yard was only about 1/4 acre! Probably not funny to anyone reading this, but it was funny if you were there. I miss PDII- that was my favorite storm after the two snowmageddons.

Nobody can convince me that a foot of ice wouldn't be awesome to experience.

We had a nasty ice storm in MN back in the mid-90s.  Was supposed to be 12-18" of snow and the storm wrapped up too much and drove the warm air north.  It was fun for a while, until we got a wet basement from the combo of ice clogged gutters and frozen ground.  You don't want that at any time of year, let alone January.

We had a nasty ice storm in MN back in the mid-90s.  Was supposed to be 12-18" of snow and the storm wrapped up too much and drove the warm air north.  It was fun for a while, until we got a wet basement from the combo of ice clogged gutters and frozen ground.  You don't want that at any time of year, let alone January.

Big ice is probably very unlikely this winter either way. I'm not too picky though. High impact weather is the core of my interest in this hobby. Certainly not in it for "pretty weather" (unless we're talking July 4th 2014 kind of stuff). I enjoy it of course but not something that inspires me to discuss it. lol. 

We lost power for 3 days in this ice storm in Dec 2008...it really sucked.

030.jpg

018.jpg

012.jpg

But I'll admit, I might do it again because it was pretty cool seeing that much ice. Maybe like a once a decade type thing.

Once every 20 years would be fine for me, that's a lot of destruction.  But, that still means I'm due ;)

Ice on snow can be very picturesque. Talk about deep winter.

That one was one of the more memorable ice storms I've experienced. I was terrified of losing power, but luckily escaped... I felt that I dodged a bullet because many others in the area including some of my professors weren't as lucky.

The best part besides the picturesque scenes was that it solidified the snowpack and practically turned it into a glacier. 

Are ice storms more of a neutral/ La Nina thing in this region or no?

Yes, more likely but I'm sure there's been some ice during warm enso. Probably not many with mod+ or strong. Someone prob has good stats on that and can chime in.

I'm surprised we didn't get more ice the last 2 years. Especially 13-14. It was a prime ice pattern but we ended up snowing instead. Weird (and very lucky) year.

Yes, more likely but I'm sure there's been some ice during warm enso. Probably not many with mod+ or strong. Someone prob has good stats on that and can chime in.

I'm surprised we didn't get more ice the last 2 years. Especially 13-14. It was a prime ice pattern but we ended up snowing instead. Weird (and very lucky) year.

FEB/Mar. 2007 had two sleet storms up here....Feb. 1970 had an ice storm up here...

Snow in December is possible even during a mild fall and winter...

• 2 weeks later...

Could probably do a poll for best 1-3 week winter period but I wouldn't do it cause there's probably a lot I don't know about. These are the ones that stand out to me:

Feb. 7-19, 1979 ( I wasn't alive for it but seems absolutely insane)

Jan. 22-26, 1987 (too young to remember, but also seems great)

Jan. 17-21, 1994

Jan. 7-13, 1996

Jan. 20-30, 2000

Feb. 6-28, 2003

Jan. 30 - Feb. 10, 2010

Feb. 14 - Mar. 7, 2015

Couple other ones I found that are a mix of multiple snow events and cold. Especially January 1982- surprised that one doesn't get talked about more often around here.

Jan. 5-25, 1977
Jan. 10-27, 1982
Feb. 6-13, 1983
Jan. 10-23, 1984
Jan. 17-31, 1985
Dec. 8-27, 1989

I might actually do a poll of "best winter period" a few months from now. If anyone has any ideas, reply or PM me.

Couple other ones I found that are a mix of multiple snow events and cold. Especially January 1982- surprised that one doesn't get talked about more often around here.

Jan. 5-25, 1977
Jan. 10-27, 1982
Feb. 6-13, 1983
Jan. 10-23, 1984
Jan. 17-31, 1985
Dec. 8-27, 1989

I might actually do a poll of "best winter period" a few months from now. If anyone has any ideas, reply or PM me.

I've had some conversations with zwyts in the past about how underrated January 1982 was for a winter month. Probably gets overshadowed by Feb '83 blizzard and PDI a few years earlier...kind of sandwiched between two great storms.

That was a frigid month though with good snow. Probably one of the better snow cover months for DCA considering they didn't get a massive storm.

The cold shot before the Air Florida storm was really impressive. Managed to choke the Potomac with ice after only 3 days. I want to say DCA put up a below zero low in there somewhere too during that stretch. I think Matt had told me they ran the table on snow cover too from the Air Florida storm to the end of the month...aided by another couple advisory events. Close to 3 weeks of continuous snow cover.

I've had some conversations with zwyts in the past about how underrated January 1982 was for a winter month. Probably gets overshadowed by Feb '83 blizzard and PDI a few years earlier...kind of sandwiched between two great storms.

That was a frigid month though with good snow. Probably one of the better snow cover months for DCA considering they didn't get a massive storm.

The cold shot before the Air Florida storm was really impressive. Managed to choke the Potomac with ice after only 3 days. I want to say DCA put up a below zero low in there somewhere too during that stretch. I think Matt had told me they ran the table on snow cover too from the Air Florida storm to the end of the month...aided by another couple advisory events. Close to 3 weeks of continuous snow cover.

And the snow disappeared one night with a cutter leading to temps in the 50's and wind swept, pea soup, fog. I remember it vividly trying to drive in it. Very cool and very dangerous.

The big day for the airports was 1/17, which I think may have been one of the coldest average days in the region.

DCA: High 10, Low -5

BWI: High 11, Low -7 (tied for coldest low ever)

IAD: High 8, Low -7

All three airports had snowcover from the Air Florida storm until the end of the month- there were a bunch of days with minor accumulating snows after that storm. It was also BWI's 7th coldest month ever. All three airports put up double digit monthly snow totals too. Seems really impressive- wish I had been alive to see it!

The big day for the airports was 1/17, which I think may have been one of the coldest average days in the region.

DCA: High 10, Low -5

BWI: High 11, Low -7 (tied for coldest low ever)

IAD: High 8, Low -7

All three airports had snowcover from the Air Florida storm until the end of the month- there were a bunch of days with minor accumulating snows after that storm. It was also BWI's 7th coldest month ever. All three airports put up double digit monthly snow totals too. Seems really impressive- wish I had been alive to see it!

I just checked 1/17/82 for DCA and that 10F high was a cheap midnight high too.

Their afternoon high was 7F. That is absolutely ridiculous for DCA.

The low of -5F occurred with NW winds of 20mph gusting to 30mph.

the winter of 1981-82 was great north and west of NYC...snowstorms on consecutive days in the Poconos mid December...The Poconos had continuous snow cover from mid December to mid March..Then 13" of snow on April 6th...April 7th stayed below freezing all day in NYC...another inch at Newark a few days later...-7 two days in a row at Newark airport in January...it was an underrated year because February and March had very little snow...

the winter of 1981-82 was great north and west of NYC...snowstorms on consecutive days in the Poconos mid December...The Poconos had continuous snow cover from mid December to mid March..Then 13" of snow on April 6th...April 7th stayed below freezing all day in NYC...another inch at Newark a few days later...-7 two days in a row at Newark airport in January...it was an underrated year because February and March had very little snow...

April 6-7 is the only storm that winter on the NESIS list that I see. I think that's the latest date for a KU on there:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/images/snow/nesis/19820406-19820407-3.35.jpg

BWI and DCA got a T for 4/6 and 4/9 but IAD had 2.6" on 4/9, which I think may be the storm you're referring too in the part I bolded above.

April 6-7 is the only storm that winter on the NESIS list that I see. I think that's the latest date for a KU on there:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/images/snow/nesis/19820406-19820407-3.35.jpg

BWI and DCA got a T for 4/6 and 4/9 but IAD had 2.6" on 4/9, which I think may be the storm you're referring too in the part I bolded above.

yes that's it...The Poconos got 2" on top of what ever was left on the ground from April 6th...I think the 4/6 storm was a Miller B storm which usually misses DC on average...

Wow. I'd love to see something like that. I imagine it was far worse in NE?

It was actually much better in the Mid-Atlantic as the core of the cold air came in from the Lakes/OH Valley...for New England, it is better to have the core come in from Quebec/eastern Ontario. It was still brutal cold though up here....but to see DCA have a high of 7F in the afternoon is crazy. Only the midnight high stopped the actual high temp from being single digits.

At the time, Jan 82 reminded me a lot of Jan. 78 only with colder temps.  I had snow building on top of snow and that was when I lived in Baltimore not the colder Westminster area.