• January 7-9, 1996 - "Blizzard of '96"
    • January 25, 2000
    • February 15-17, 2003 - "PDII"
    • December 18-19, 2009 - "Snowpocalypse"
    • February 5-6, 2010 - "Snowmageddon, part 1"
    • February 9-10, 2010 - "Snowmageddon, part 2"
    • January 22-23, 2016 - "Blizzard of 2016"

15 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

Since today is the 43rd anniversary of PD 1 (it actually began on Sunday afternoon and evening, February 18, 1979 with 4.7 inches of snow at DCA, but 14.0 inches fell on the morning of February 19th), I thought I would weigh in with my memory of that event.  When I went to bed on Sunday evening in my apartment in Reston, Virginia, the forecast was for about 6 inches total.  When I first looked out the window Monday morning at my apartment parking lot,  I wondered if my eyes were deceiving me because I could not see my car!  It was an electrifying moment that is still frozen in my mind. 

Many huge storrms have come and gone since, but none have come close to matching that moment. 

Did you wake in time to see the incredible rates? That is what it forever etched in my mind as I awoke right at dawn on Monday. I lived in McLean and we got stuck under a band. Was, and still is, the most awesome snow experience I’ve ever had. No doubt why I have this snow affliction. I have seen every major storm in the DMV since by the way. It’s not a contest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJ3 said:

Did you wake in time to see the incredible rates? That is what it forever etched in my mind as I awoke right at dawn on Monday. I lived in McLean and we got stuck under a band. Was, and still is, the most awesome snow experience I’ve ever had. No doubt why I have this snow affliction. I have seen every major storm in the DMV since by the way. It’s not a contest. 

No, I was not up until after the snow had stopped.  But the snow that had drifted over my car was amazing, particularly since nothing of that magniture had been forecast.