• January 25, 2000
    • February 15-17, 2003 - "PDII"
    • December 18-19, 2009 - "Snowpocalypse"
    • February 5-6, 2010 - "Snowmageddon, part 1"
    • February 9-10, 2010 - "Snowmageddon, part 2"
    • January 22-23, 2016 - "Blizzard of 2016"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We're getting a storm worthy of this list this winter. I make forecasts you can trust.  :snowing:

Poll for "best winter period ever" will be coming towards the end of the season, I'm holding off cause I know some week this February January will be making that list too. :thumbsup:

QFT, with one minor adjustment lol

I don't think there's a way to add in a poll option though.

I thought that the Snowmageddon event (both storms) would be the top of my list for a very long time. But I was still working and as a government contractor, I was considered essential and got permission to work from home for 4 days. The problem: the agency's aging servers could not keep up with the VM demands of everyone telecommuting and I lost a lot of work when everything crashed. Very stressful, and it took any joy out of enjoying the wondrous snowscape.

But this storm for me is very different. I'm retired, and my calendar is clear for the next couple of days. While my neighbors are digging out thinking they will go to work Monday (and with no snowplow in sight), I'm chillin in a hot bathtub with a cup of my favorite coffee and listening to some quality jazz. Later, I'll venture out with my Canon to take some quality pictures.

This storm had everything: a fun-filled 5 days of tracking with moments of high drama (fooking Euro); early start, and for some of us, moments of disappointment (DT, please!) with a 5 hour lull in DC followed by a stunning display of nature's fury. I sit with 2' and a 5 foot drift on my left side that's past the windowsills.  It's just glorious, and I can savor the beauty for many, many days.

PD1 was the most influential so it takes my vote. 10 years old and blew my mind. Always loved snow but that one was the first hit to a lifetime addiction.

Wasn't living here during Jan 96 so as great as it sounds I missed the experience.

Jan 2000 will never happen again. Models are far more skilled. That kind of short range reverse bust is off the table. Maybe a small and localized bust is possible but nothing like that.

09-10 was mind blowing but after my years in the Rockies and older age, it can't top the wow factor of pd1

I changed my vote. 2016 was an incredible tracking and real time experience. The insane model runs and insane totals around the areas west of the cities led to an unimaginable period for winter wx enthusiasts. Biggest storm ever in my yard seals the deal.

I thought they lowered 2/5/10. Had no idea 12/09 was lowered.

12/2009 was originally 21" but later lowered to 18"

2/5-6/2010 had two measurements: a 28.8" taken every hour and a 24.8" taken once at the end. There were no 6 hour measurements. 25.0" was a derived amount that was supposed to account for compaction. 1/30/10 was also adjusted down. Supposedly all the storms were overmeasured at BWI between 1998 and 2/5-6/2010, but none of the other ones were adjusted down.

I'm still trying to figure out if the 29.2" BWI got in this storm has been adjusted down or not- there's a discrepancy between two pages on LWX's website.

I'd probably have to go with 16 now. I never stopped snowing Saturday. Stayed close enough to the deform band here that it was probably a little more than snow tv. The front end thump overnight Friday and the Saturday afternoon wraparound deform bands put it at or very near the top of its class here. 96 and 16 are the cream of the crop for snowstorms here at least N&W of the cities and pretty close to that for the cities themselves. Feb 03 was also special but a notch below in entertainment value. Feb 10 was bigtime but didn't have the temps to start out that 16 did.

That's probably the order for me. Too young for 83.

I'd probably have to go with 16 now. I never stopped snowing Saturday. Stayed close enough to the deform band here that it was probably a little more than snow tv. The front end thump overnight Friday and the Saturday afternoon wraparound deform bands put it at or very near the top of its class here. 96 and 16 are the cream of the crop for snowstorms here at least N&W of the cities and pretty close to that for the cities themselves. Feb 03 was also special but a notch below in entertainment value. Feb 10 was bigtime but didn't have the temps to start out that 16 did.

That's probably the order for me. Too young for 83.

You wouldn't put the second 2/10 blizzard above '00?