joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hedge on a blizzard warning just based on the timing. Worst conditions when people are coming out of Super Bowl parties. Far less people will travel under a blizzard warning (particularly around these areas where they're rare and thus stand out) than a WSW that's issued several times a year. Also, the drifts with this particularly in open areas could strand people in extreme cases, and with temperatures getting down into the single digits, it could be dangerous to be stranded, particularly with carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of people trying to warm themselves up with snow-choked tailpipes.

The NWS really only has a pretty strict guideline for blizzard warnings. Super Bowl is no exception to issue one, I would think anyway.

Regardless, definitely a high impact event.

No just keep this all one thread. It's what we've always done.

This.

Never understood why the northeast forums split them like that.

Sorry, guys. A few people have already started posting over there. I came from the east coast, so I'm probably used to doing it that way. :) I think it's because some of us like to talk about what's going on currently in our locations. Like I said, people can feel free to post over there if they like or keep posting here.

The NWS really only has a pretty strict guideline for blizzard warnings. Super Bowl is no exception to issue one, I would think anyway.

Regardless, definitely a high impact event.

Absolutely. I made an addendum to my post before reading this. I understand that they have strict criteria, but it'll be close enough, and to the layman it will be a full-fledged blizzard even if wind speeds "only" reach 34 miles an hour and yet there are two-three foot drifts stranding him. 

Sorry, guys. A few people have already started posting over there. I came from the east coast, so I'm probably used to doing it that way. :) I think it's because some of us like to talk about what's going on currently in our locations. Like I said, people can feel free to post over there if they like or keep posting here.

This thread is 100 posts away from being closed. You could make yours Part III.

Just getting back from Chicago this evening and catching up on the storm now. Quite a few people at the stores tonight! Some are acting like they're going to snowed in for days.  :lmao:

Winds shifted off the lake here with colder air flowing in. Pixie dust flakes starting now.

Obs looking good out of Des Moines.

KDSM 010154Z 09005KT 3/4SM R31/5000V5500FT -SN BR VV005 01/00 A3001 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1 1/2 SLP172 SNINCR 1/2 P0010 T00110000
KDSM 010139Z 12005KT 3/4SM R31/5000VP6000FT -SN BR VV004 01/00 A3002 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1 1/2 P0006 T00110000
KDSM 010054Z 13006KT 1SM R31/6000VP6000FT -SN BR VV003 01/00 A3003 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1 1/2 SLP178 SNINCR 1/1 P0009 T00110000

1008 mb low at present in ne New Mexico with lightning strikes in sw TX and a copious moisture feed moving northward.  Looks promising.

Indy agreed, it was showing lightning strikes at this time yesterday, I was speaking to another met about this system being very dynamic, and that is coming to truth so far..

Archived