joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. I have family all over washtenaw and Livingston county getting ready to fire their MXz sleds for this one. Nothing like 800cc's of fun after the Super Bowl tomorrow! A couple of days ago this one looked like it was ours damn it. ROAD TRIP TO PINCKNEY!!!!

I moved to Livingston county (as I am south of Fenton actually) a couple years ago ... it is awesome here.  Just about everyone has a sled in this county it seems except me but we are hoping to change that this year.  Picnkney would be a great spot for snowmobiling!!  I have only Mtn Biked there.

I moved to Livingston county (as I am south of Fenton actually) a couple years ago ... it is awesome here.  Just about everyone has a sled in this county it seems except me but we are hoping to change that this year.  Picnkney would be a great spot for snowmobiling!!  I have only Mtn Biked there.

my dad has a cabin on rush lake, and man would I love to be there right now feedin' the fireplace waiting for the snow. I'm sure he won't be looking forward to driving down to Dundee for work on Monday morning:)

Tim is going to have to take over full-time reporting duties for LAF as I have decided to pull the trigger on a road trip north to Lake county Indiana for this one.  Been wrestling with this throughout the day but big snowstorm takes precedence over Super Bowl plans and I told myself that if there was any shot to get close to 18", I'd go, and I think there's a chance.  Have seen numerous 10-12" storms in my life but it's a different animal when you start getting toward 18.  Plus the blizzard conditions that are looking more and more likely.

Not sure how or when I'm going to get back to LAF, but I'm hoping there will be enough of an impact here to disrupt things for Monday and give me some extra time.  Knowing how the roads get, I'd probably be better off flying into the Purdue airport than driving :lol:

Looking forward to sharing this one with the Chicago metro crew.

I started chasing snowstorms (when my schedule would allow it) about 5 or so years ago.  It has really helped as I have been involved in some big events while MBY was getting crap!!!  I have been able to hit 3 different 18" events with LES involved and a few lesser but still good one on the west side & the northern part of lower MI.  Of course when I go I bring the family and involve down hill skiing. 

One of these days I got to get out to Tug Hill or Buffalo for one of those insane LES events.

Good Luck!!! :snowing:

The only thing I need now is for the GGEM to make one last decent shift northward (to be safe)

Otherwise, things look to be locked and loaded for a 12"+ storm in Detroit...

The 18Z RGEM went 30-40 miles north to join the rest of the models on the more north track so I think it is likely the 0z GGEM goes north to join the party as well.

my dad has a cabin on rush lake, and man would I love to be there right now feedin' the fireplace waiting for the snow. I'm sure he won't be looking forward to driving down to Dundee for work on Monday morning:)

Depending on the winds he might not be able to even make it to Dundee. How's he get there, US-23? That'll be right through ground zero for the heavier snows in MI.

Yeah that can be a nasty drive along 23.  I moved onto Tyrone Lake and it was the best decision we made (though a decent money set back but we could not be happier about doing it).

Interesting. Back when I used a snowboard I always placed it on top of any snowpack. I felt if it rested below the average surface of the snow, even a bit, it was prone to contamination from drifting. Just a hunch though. No scientific evidence to back me up.

I use that and the deck, which I totally cleared (& I feel works better than the snowboard often), but I never heard of putting the snowboard on top of snow. I would worry it would slide away :lol: The old snow is kind of solid/icy, so I do not have to worry about any of that blowing/drifting. One thing to remember though, is that a snowboard is just one tool (rain gauge is useful too, but can produce a nipher effect at times). Any snowfall that is not accompanied by calm or light winds will require several other meausurments to make sure you arent totally off. I have seen it work both ways in wind-driven snows, where the snowboard is drifted over (which means there is more snow on the board than fell) or the snow blows off the board, leading to less snow on the board than fell.

Rain is mixing with snow here now.  Still mostly rain though.  Have picked up 0.13" of rain so far.

Great! Once you start, you don't go back. :P

I work in a diesel repair shop. lol I am the Skywarn coordinator. The EMA Director has no interest in meteorology, so I'm recruited to be the local weatherman on call.

Thanks. I think that we'll do well. You were just being rightfully pessimistic. I can see you getting well over 6" though. Let us know.

Cool! I hope you enjoy it. I'm guessing it can take a lot of volunteer hours.

Cool! Have a safe trip, keep us posted and take lots of pics! I love me some hoosierwxdude road trips.

Have a great trip! 

Interesting, as I hear Livingston is the fastest growing county in the state. Still lots of open land left?

I started chasing snowstorms (when my schedule would allow it) about 5 or so years ago.  It has really helped as I have been involved in some big events while MBY was getting crap!!!  I have been able to hit 3 different 18" events with LES involved and a few lesser but still good one on the west side & the northern part of lower MI.  Of course when I go I bring the family and involve down hill skiing. 

One of these days I got to get out to Tug Hill or Buffalo for one of those insane LES events.

Good Luck!!! :snowing:

Take me to the Tug Hill with you! I want to experience that too! haha

Depending on the winds he might not be able to even make it to Dundee. How's he get there, US-23? That'll be right through ground zero for the heavier snows in MI.

yes, he takes 23 to m-14 to 23 all the way. Might be a good day to take a sick day and put a few miles on the sled and feed the fire. Maybe head out and do a little ice fishing to. Omg I miss michigan

I75 will be an absolute and utter mess. Drive defensibly because it will be the other person who will take you out. Im 1.5 hours North of Lima. Good luck!

it will be an utter mess even on tues ? Are they good at clearing the roads in Ohio ? Sorry I'm just nervous about driving home on Tuesday and want to make sure I have nothing to worry about. I can wait until Wed if I have to.

Archived