joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precip has started, and it's a cold rain at 35.

My first instinct was that evap cooling/wetbulbing would switch you over to snow very quickly...but then I saw the high dews around your area.

I still think you'll switch over within 2-3 hours.  Good luck!!

4 PM CST:

MLI 36/34

DVN 35/32

RFD 36/26

ORD 36/26

DKB 33/28

JOT 36/29

Up to 38 degrees here now.  Could there be, the possibility of an ever so brief shot of light rain before the snow starts falling here? It looks like temps start to fall right around the arrival of the precip, or just before. Can't really tell. 

My first instinct was that evap cooling/wetbulbing would switch you over to snow very quickly...but then I saw the high dews around your area.

I still think you'll switch over within 2-3 hours.  Good luck!!

4 PM CST:

MLI 36/34

DVN 35/32

RFD 36/26

ORD 36/26

DKB 33/28

JOT 36/29

HRRR keeps us mainly rain through 10pm, but that seems a bit late to me.  4km through about 7-8pm.  RGEM around 9pm.  Temps look fairly marginal through the night, so we may have some issues with very wet snow compacting for much of the night once it changes over.  Still gonna ride the 8-11", but we may have some issues if there's a small bump north.  T-snow's RUC map has a pretty sharp cutoff very near the I-80 corridor.  

HRRR keeps us mainly rain through 10pm, but that seems a bit late to me.  4km through about 7-8pm.  RGEM around 9pm.  Temps look fairly marginal through the night, so we may have some issues with very wet snow compacting for much of the night once it changes over.  Still gonna ride the 8-11", but we may have some issues if there's a small bump north.  T-snow's RUC map has a pretty sharp cutoff very near the I-80 corridor.  

Yep, agree with your thoughts.  An optimistic way to look at it is that the higher than expected dews = more moisture = higher total QPF.

GFS is a likely blizzard again, actually deepens slightly quicker than the 12z run. 999 low along the eastern IL/western IN border 00z tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900V

right around the time peeps are leaving their parties tomorrow...expansive area over most of LOT pushing 30 knot surface gust and even more so (obv) on the shoreline

It looks like the last 8 hours of the storm makes the difference: who gets in that last heavy band caused by forcing will get the foot plus.

Thanks.  Other than the sharp gradients, I'd say the Detroit area was one of the bigger bugaboos as some of the models are really going nuts in that area.  Decided to temper it a bit for now and keep the max amounts a bit farther south than some models.

already at about 0.07 of light rain/heavy drizzle for the last 90 minutes... this is going to need to flip pretty quickly for the higher totals around here to verify I think. 

Also have some serious concerns now around my area for along/S of I80 for higher totals as the cut off on these things is usually pretty stout outside of the heavy snow band.  I have been riding 7-10" here locally and I am sticking with that, certainly could see some isolated 12" amounts in the area. 

already at about 0.07 of light rain/heavy drizzle for the last 90 minutes... this is going to need to flip pretty quickly for the higher totals around here to verify I think. 

Also have some serious concerns now around my area for along/S of I80 for higher totals as the cut off on these things is usually pretty stout outside of the heavy snow band.  I have been riding 7-10" here locally and I am sticking with that, certainly could see some isolated 12" amounts in the area. 

Dual-pol products showing the snow isn't too far above us, generally 1000-1500ft best I can tell.  The problem is there's no feed of colder air at the surface, as winds are still southerly.  Precip is not heavy enough to drag down the colder air from above at this point.  Looking like we may be waiting around another 3-5hrs to fully change over.  May see a burst of snow now and then though if we can get a pocket of heavier precip to move in.

Thanks.  Other than the sharp gradients, I'd say the Detroit area was one of the bigger bugaboos as some of the models are really going nuts in that area.  Decided to temper it a bit for now and keep the max amounts a bit farther south than some models.

It looks like the I-23 Corridor will be getting some of the heaviest snow in Michigan. I don't like driving that road any time...I can't imagine driving it during a winter storm.

Except of piles from the January 5, 2015 clipper system, nope.

Yeah scattered patches of it.  Most of it melted in the past few days.  Hit 39 earlier today.

Wow, so you guys didn't really have any snow on the ground for most of January? I guess long stretches like that are more common there than here. Especially the past couple of years. I hope you both get lots of snow to enjoy.

I'm a northern Jersey (Bergen County) guy but in Toronto this weekend to watch the Super Bowl with friends. The GTA is do for a big one and hopefully we can get it done with this storm.

Going to need another bump to the north, otherwise this is going to be pretty run-of-the-mill. Especially for a guy from the EC's who's seen his fair share of monsters.

It looks like the I-23 Corridor will be getting some of the heaviest snow in Michigan. I don't like driving that road any time...I can't imagine driving it during a winter storm.

Wow, so you guys didn't really have any snow on the ground for most of January? I guess long stretches like that are more common there than here. Especially the past couple of years. I hope you both get lots of snow to enjoy.

Yeah around here snow cover has a tendency to come and go throughout a winter.  Some seasons though (like last winter) we have snow cover from Dec through early Mar.  

Up to 0.06" of ice water.

Archived